Health & Exercise

Marijuana for auto immune disease

Please do not judge me or say nasty things. I am in a desperate place right now and until you have felt the physical pain I feel everyday please do not condemn me.
I have a disease called interstitial cystitis. It causes ulcerations in the bladder that cause constant urgency frequency and pain. It feels like the worse uti x 10 with no relief. I have been in remission for 4 years. So when my husband and I were trying to conceive the thought of this returning did not cross my mind. I have been symptom free and med free for so long. We were so happy when I found out I was pregnant but at 5 weeks I felt the symptoms returning. My Obgyn can not give me anything and my urologist will not touch me because I am pregnant. All the medicines I used to take are class d. The only help my Obgyn is willing to give me is oxycodone in the 2nd trimester. I am 12 weeks now. I do not want to take a painkiller. They said my baby would go through withdrawl!
So being 7 weeks in constant agony my faith is the only thing I can cling to at the moment. I research any kind of symptom relief all day with no avail. I have a few friends that suggested smoking some marijuana. Not a lot just a hit to relax my body and hopefully take some pain away. I am not a pothead. I not a druggie. I had a wonderful upbringing, have college degree and a good Job which I have been unable to go to due to the pain a wonderful home and adoring husband. He also said to try it because he is the one who sits with me every night as I cry and pray to god this will get better. He knows how much I am suffering.
So please no harsh criticism. Just any input if anyone has done it or knows of someone who has. I don't want to hurt my baby. But I can't continue to live like this I'm afraid I will lose this baby.

Re: Marijuana for auto immune disease

• My only concern is that your friends who are not your caregivers are giving you medical advice. Consult your Drs, I am sure if it was something that was ok, he would have offered to write you a Rx for it, if it's legal your state.

• I cannot imagine the pain you are experiencing.  Will keep you in my prayers.
  • Loading the player...
  • My mother uses medicinal marijuana so there is no judgment here.  In a situation like this I don't think your friends or people on this board are really in a position to give you proper medical advice.  I would speak to your doctor open and honestly because that is what (s)he is there for.  Good luck with your pregnancy and I hope you find the relief you need.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I agree with the PP in that this one really is for you and your OB to decide together.  Even if your Urologist is unwilling to go near you there likely is one who will somewhere out there.  Do some calling and homework. 

From there, what about something to help with the anxiety associated with the pain?  There are classes of medication on the anxiety end that they can give you that have been through the riggors of research. 

I know no one has mentioned it, but what about working with a hypnotherapist for the pain control.  Hypnotherapy has been used for full blown anesthesia in some cases.  This would allow you to do pain control without having to worry about your baby going through withdrawl or other adverse affects while maintianing that if something is a true warning, you can respond accordingly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I put NO judgement on you. I have seen 3 people go through their full pregnancy smoking marijuana (not because of pain) but because of pure enjoyment which i def don't agree with BUT their babies are absolutely healthy and beautiful. If i were in your position I would talk to my Dr. about it and see what he says but if he can't come up with anything helpful then I say try it out (not alot, just a little to relax the body). No one can begin to even imagine what you are going through, keep your Faith strong as you said, but marijuana is not the worst thing you can do to your baby. I will keep you in my prayers as well, but like I said I am no Dr. so I don't know the full side affects but i have seen people smoke first hand when pregnant and their babies turned out fine.
  • Thank you everyone for your replies. They are greatly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"