Baby Showers

Hostess gift - must give?

Do you have to give a hostess gift?  or is it just nice to give as a thank you. 

For financial reasons would it be ok to just send a really nice thank you note ?

Opinions are welcome.  TIA

___________________________________________________________________ Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Hostess gift - must give?

• It's always nice to give a hostess gift but if you can't afford it then I wouldn't worry about it!  Your first priority right now is saving for the baby.  If someone is throwing a shower for you, likely she's close to you and should understand.  If you really want to give something, you can always make something.  Invite her to dinner at your place?  Bake her thank you cookies?

When i threw a shower for a friend she got me a thank you gift about 1.5 weeks later.  I definitely didn't think "why didn't se get me something" in the menatime.  I definitely did NOT expect a gift!  In fact, I was a little surprised.

• A gift is never mandatory.  Otherwise you'd get an invoice, and they'd send collections after you  if you didn't send one.

A heartfelt thank you letter would be priceless, imho.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree, a nice thank you note is very important, but a gift is completely optional.  I do like pp's idea of some nice baked goods though!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers1 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Hostess gifts don't have to be pricey. Baked goods are an awesome suggestion. While as a shower hostess, I'd never be angry (or likely even notice) if I didn't receive a hostess gift, as a guest of honor, I'd never not give one. KWIM?
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • It's nice to give something small.  Perhaps a small candle wrapped nicely or a movie rental gift card tied to a piece of candy or microwave popcorn bag with a pretty ribbon.  I'd do something small with a hand written, heart felt thank you.  You need to do something small.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think a really nice thank you note is fine...but a gift does not have to be expensive.

I gave my hostess a picturs frame and in it I put a her favorite flower with a thank you note.(my not said something like frame $10, Flower $2, but what you did to welcome my baby in this world Priceless...words can't say thank you enough - I love ya) 

she loved it... and we still talk about it -  how something so simple can mean so much

• Thank you ladies for the advice.  You gave me so really good ideas.

___________________________________________________________________ Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I don't believe it is mandatory but a thank you note with maybe a small plant would be nice if you could swing it.  I'm sure you could find something under $10. 
  • Well it certainly is not mandatory, I think it would be nice to do more than the thank you note, since everyone attending the shower would be receiving one. It certainly doesn't have to be something store bought though. Maybe a batch of cookies, or like the previous post stated, have them over for dinner. Or maybe once the baby is born, send a framed  photo of the baby with the thank you note. Even small things count.
  • imageheme:

I think a really nice thank you note is fine...but a gift does not have to be expensive.

I gave my hostess a picturs frame and in it I put a her favorite flower with a thank you note.(my not said something like frame $10, Flower $2, but what you did to welcome my baby in this world Priceless...words can't say thank you enough - I love ya) 

she loved it... and we still talk about it -  how something so simple can mean so much

Such a cute idea!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"