TTC after 35
Options

IUI#2 Fail - Hysteroscopy questions

Hi Everyone,

Got BFN Beta test and AF yesterday after our 2nd IUI.  I'm pissed and sad but ready to move on.

After my m/c in October, followed by the chemical pregnancy, my RE wants to do a hysteroscopy.  Since we got BFP right after HSG and MH sperm counts/motility is very good, he thinks it's probably an egg quality issue, but wants to rule out an issue with implantation/uterus issues, hence the hysteroscopy.  We did do testing re multiple miscarriages and those were clear.

For those who have had a hysteroscopy, can you share your stories/experiences?  I'd like to know what led you to that and also the experience itself.  Mine is scheduled for next Friday (pre-op consult on Wednesday).  I'm nervous - but most info I'm finding on the bump is related to laps, not hysteroscopies.  After the procedure, did you do a medicated cycle right after?

Thanks ladies!

Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!

Re: IUI#2 Fail - Hysteroscopy questions

• Options

Lenox...I've had three hysteroscopies.

The first was suggested after my old RE did a saline-sonogram. She 'saw something' inside my uterus and had my ob/gyn do the hysteroscopy. My ob/gyn went in and he found a polyp. He said, it probably was nothing to worry about but my RE insisted I take it out. It was way too painful to do during the hysteroscopy so I had surgery with general anesthesia. I was able to start ttc the next cycle.

The next time I had a hysteroscopy was with my new RE. She wanted to get a better look at my fibroids. She saw them in a regular u/s but the hysteroscopy showed how they were distorting the shape of my uterus...hence a "possible" cause to my second miscarriage. I had a Myomectomy, which is surgery to remove the fibroids. This surgery was a big deal.

The third hysteroscopy was after my myomectomy. My RE performed this hysteroscopy to make sure my uterus looked good three months post surgery.

The hysteroscopy is just a very tiny camera (size of a pencil eraser-maybe even smaller) on the tip of a thin instrument used to take actual video of the inside of the uterus. It's just better than an u/s. For me personally, they were very uncomfortable. The hysteroscopy in itself doesn't delay ttc. It's if they find something that you have to take care of that *could delay ttc. I could not ttc after my myomectomy for three months.

Hysteroscopies will give your doctor a lot of information, so it's very helpful for their diagnosis. And, I was always give a very short course of antibiotics to prep for a hysteroscopy. I also took advil 45 minutes prior.

I don't know what your pre-op consult is about? Are you being put under for it? If you are, they may want to take care of something right there and then (like a polyp) which is great. 

Don't be nervous, it's not that bad, just uncomfortable.  

• Options
    I just had my third HSG an hour ago. My RE requires one to be done every year.

I did them all at the same place. I was not sedated at all. DH and I have been taking antibiotics. HSGs are pretty uncomfortable for me lots of cramping. I'm now resting in bed. It's not terrible but bleh...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you for such a detailed run down!  The pre-op is as you suggested - they are doing general anesthesia/putting me under so I have to go in and meet with him and then do some testing at the hospital.  

He said it was both diagnostic and therapeutic - ie, if he finds something he can take care of it then.  That makes more sense now that I've heard your experience of different "levels" of hysteroscopy.  I've had probably 10 u/s as well as the HSG and they haven't found anything obvious, like big fibroids, etc.  But he just wants to make sure.  

I'm curious if there is something to me spotting so much recently.  I spotted pretty much every day this past cycle from 3DPO on, which is unusual for me.  I also spotted a lot the month of my c/p.  

Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!
  • Options
    I had a hysteroscopy to remove a polyp combined with a lap and even then they let me do an injects IUI the following month. Recovery from the hysteroscopy part was quick; I could have gone to work the next day ... very little bleeding, hardly any uterine or vaginal pain. It was the pain from the lap has and incisions that kept me out a few days.
  • Options

I've had both operative hysteroscopies (which sounds like what you are having) and office hysteroscopies.  To be honest, doing it in the hospital is the way to go! I felt totally fine after.  It's a bit of a production but nothing to worry about.  I had one in the office and it was so painful I had to stop -I was better off with the anesthesia. I think though it also depends on what's going on with you - after the painful attempt I found out I had a uterine septum.  I had another in office just to 'view' things and it was actually not a big deal.

I did do a medicated cycle right after - there's no reason not to to my knowledge.  Good luck!!!

Me-42 DH-43 TTC #1 since 3/11
    HSG 7/11 showed possible blockage
    8/11 BFP, then early m/c  (Natural)
    9/11 blood tests reveal Factor V Leiden (heterozygous)
    11/11 Hysteroscopy revealed uterine septum, which was repaired
    12/11 1st round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN
    1/12 2nd round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN 
    2/12 Repeat HSG=All clear 
    2/12 IUI with injectables #1=BFN 
    3/12 natural cycle=BFN 
    4/12 IUI with injectables #2=C/P 
    7/12 IVF #1=30ER, 9F, 3T, 1 Frostie 7/29=BFP! 
    8/27/12 No Heartbeat. Waiting to M/C 
    9/13/12 D+C
    12/12 Operative Hysteroscopy 
    1/31/12  IVF#2 ...BFP 2/6 m/c 2/12 methotrexate due to presumed ectopic
    July '13 IVF #3: 13R, 10M, 8F=BFP
    1st Beta=549  2nd Beta 594 3rd Beta 422. M/C #5
    IVF#4 in November=BFP…TWINS!!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"