Maryland Babies

How soon to tell?

For those of you far along or already have kids... how long did you wait to tell friends?  I know you're "supposed" to wait until 12 weeks, but I'm just so excited.  Also, if something did happen I would want my support network aware..
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How soon to tell?

• It's a personal choice. I told my 2 best friends at 8 weeks; I knew they'd be there no matter what. We told our parents at 9 weeks after the first ultrasound; they are not local and the timing seemed right. Everyone else waited until 13 weeks.
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I told my closest friends almost as soon as I found out (because I also knew they could keep their mouth shut). We told our parents at what we thought was 5.5 weeks (it was really 4.5) because we happened to be around my parents. They knew if I wasn't drinking that something was up - so there was no escaping it. We told his parents the same weekend to keep it fair. We publicly came out on fb at 17 weeks (I was interviewing before that so I wanted to keep it off facebook until then). I say if you're comfortable, tell people. Nothing wrong with that :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • With my first I told my mom, and aunt at 5 weeks. I told a really good friend at 7 weeks. I told everyone else around 11 weeks.

With my second I told my really good friend at 5 weeks and everyone else at 10 weeks after we heard the baby's heartbeat. 

• This is a really personal choice. There's nothing saying you "should" wait until 12 weeks, but many choose to do that. Many also decide to tell after the first ultrasound or appointment when they hear the heartbeat which may be before 12 weeks. You can tell whenever you want to!

I told one or two close girlfriends almost right away. We told our parents and siblings at 13 weeks, then spread the word to friends and extended family. We didn't want to have to untell a lot of people if something went wrong (and I've had 3 miscarriages, so that definitely influences my opinion on this subject). 

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • For both pregnancies, we told our families right away. If anything had gone wrong, they would have known about it anyways. I had intended to wait to tell people until I was closer to the end of my first trimester, however I showed REALLY early and was in maternity pants at 7 weeks with both, so there really wasn't much hiding it!! Surprise

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1st pregnancy I told one sister at 7 weeks after my first dr. appt. and then close friends and immediate family after first ultrasound at 12.5 weeks.

This pregnancy I told mom right away at 5 weeks and both sisters as well.  I waited to tell Dad when I went home for Thanksgiving around 11 weeks and then rest of close friends and other family after ultrasound at 13 weeks.

I told work around 14-15 weeks.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • For both of mine DH and I pretty much kept it secret until we told my family at 9-10 weeks. Then came out to everyone around 14 weeks I think.

Except during my first pregnancy, my cousin looked at me and said "you're pregnant, aren't you?" seriously ONE DAY after I POAS, and I couldn't lie, so she did know early on.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Totally a personal choice. I told two of my college best friends at 6 weeks bc I was going to see them for a weekend and there was no way I could pull off the not-drinking thing lol.  There were a few friends I wanted to tell in person so I told at 10 weeks or 11 weeks. Everyone else I told at 13 weeks.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We told immediate family right when we found out, but we are very close with our parents and siblings and knew they would be a great support system if anything happened.  I also told 2 of my closest friends for the same reason.  It's totally up to you, there is no "rule" just what you feel comfortable with.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • PG#1, I waited until 12 weeks because I "knew" something was wrong and even then I only told a few people.

PG#2, Told a few people before the 1st u/s. We found out that it was not viable, so that was that.

PG#3 Told people when I was probably 16 weeks (I had already had several u/s and testing).

It's a very personal choice. I like to deal with things in my own way and am kind of a private person, so if something happened, I wanted to deal with it on my own.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"