Maryland Babies

Potty Training ?

If you've successfully potty trained your LO, do you have any tips or tricks to share?  DD is about to turn 3 so I'm really focusing on getting her trained.  She'll sit on the toilet but won't go.  I'm doing the sticker chart (currently blank), giving her a small treat every time she sits on there, and I'm off work today so I'm setting a timer so we try at 20-30 minute intervals.  She's showing cues that she's ready, I just need her to actually "go" when she sits on there.  TIA!
imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potty Training ?

• Mine was trained shortly after 2. I used 3 day potty training as a guide. I didn't use every technique but I used some principles and tailored it to my needs. 

It takes patience. I didn't ask mine, I just reminded her to tell me if she had to go. I also told her to not pee pee on Dora. She really took to that 'rule'. Also, I'm not a fan of 'forcing' them to go sit. Additionally, I wouldn't make her stay on the potty until she went.  Make a huge deal if she uses the potty. Don't punish for accidents. If she has accidents, still go sit her on potty to see if she will finish there.

She will get it! Good luck! 

• We trained John over a few months, it was longer than I thought it would be, but he never got frustrated or fought us on it so we feel like we did it at his pace.  We did the M&M after going (phased it out once he was trained #1 completely) and we just sat him down once an hour and on the weekends either put him in underware (no pants to limit the amount of laundry).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter has taken a early interest in the potty she received for Christmas. My recommendation which has had a BIG impression on our little one is everynight we started setting her on the potty while the bathtub filled up. Once the chill from the air hits them and the sound of running water they go pretty much instantly. From there we would carry on and clap that she did a great job and give her a sticker. It made that connection for her to use the potty when she has to go. We still have a long road ahead but now she has actually started walking into the bathroom and sat down until we put her on the potty a few times to go. Just a thought.. good luck!

• honestly, daycare did most of the training for me - they didn't do any rewards or stickers, just lots of opportuties to sit on the potty (everyone goes and sits on the potty 4x a day or so) and lots of enthusiasm when they do go potty and even more when the go on their own.

At home, we did a lot of reminding about the potty, and making sure the light was on, door was open, etc.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I used the 3 day potty training method with DD1 when she was 2 years and 3 months. It worked GREAT! I have a copy downloaded to my computer, I can send it to you if you'd like.

We talked up "no more diapers" for a month or so and then just one day put her in underwear and never looked back. No pullups either. Yes, she had accidents and very occassionally still does (maybe once a month) at school, but she's been using the potty since the beginning of August. She has gone through naps and overnight since the beginning too. The weekend that I did it had its rough spots where I thought "is this really what I want to do?" but looking back, it really went very well and was pretty easy.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS is just getting ready to turn 2 and I want to try and be a little more forward with it.  Right now while we are getting DS ready for a bath I will let him run around with no diaper on (risky and we have had accidents), but most of the time he wants to sit on the potty and try.  He has gone a handful of times #1, so when he does we make a big deal about it.  I like the M&M idea, I might try that at some point.

Megcheer--I will PM you my email address, can you send me the 3 day potty training? 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagetmm140:
    DS is just getting ready to turn 2 and I want to try and be a little more forward with it.nbsp; Right now while we are getting DS ready for a bath I will let him run around with no diaper on risky and we have had accidents, but most of the time he wants to sit on the potty and try.nbsp; He has gone a handful of times 1, so when he does we make a big deal about it.nbsp; I like the Mamp;M idea, I might try that at some point.
    nbsp;MegcheerI will PM you my email address, can you send me the 3 day potty training?nbsp;

No prob just email me and ill send it to you tonight when I get home. Megcheer1 at gmail dot com
  • We did the 3 day training as well with some tweaks here and there. The most important thing is to not to push it with kids because they will push back. It worked out well for us :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageMegcheer2:
    imagetmm140:
    DS is just getting ready to turn 2 and I want to try and be a little more forward with it.nbsp; Right now while we are getting DS ready for a bath I will let him run around with no diaper on risky and we have had accidents, but most of the time he wants to sit on the potty and try.nbsp; He has gone a handful of times 1, so when he does we make a big deal about it.nbsp; I like the Mamp;M idea, I might try that at some point. nbsp;MegcheerI will PM you my email address, can you send me the 3 day potty training?nbsp;
    No prob just email me and ill send it to you tonight when I get home. Megcheer1 at gmail dot com

Any chance I could take you up on this as well?  DS is great at going whenever we sit him down - think we just need to take the plunge and commit completely to training for a week or so.  Would love to get this well underway before #2 arrives.

lovelylittleworld
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • We did the 3 day potty training, too.  My son was 26 months.  It was hard, but after the three days, he got it.  I almost gave up, but it was worth it in the end.  I would definately recommend this method.
  • imageRagdolls:

Any chance I could take you up on this as well?  DS is great at going whenever we sit him down - think we just need to take the plunge and commit completely to training for a week or so.  Would love to get this well underway before #2 arrives.

Of course! Just need your email address

• imageMegcheer2:
    imageRagdolls:

Of course! Just need your email address

Thank you, ma'am!!  Sent to you on FB.

lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • I remember in May (like it was yesterday) over memorial day weekend that Annabelle wanted to wear underwear. I told her that if she wore them she could not have any accidents. She had a few accidents, but the key was she WANTED to wear them. I took it as a good sign and things were finally starting to click. She wore pulls up maybe for few weeks in the beginning, but doesn't anymore. My daycare provider really helped too, she would sit the kids on the potty every 30 minutes even if they didn't have to go.

In the beginning we did m&m's for sitting and going potty, daycare did marshmallows for pooping on potty.

• Aiden was 2 years 4 months.  We started when school was out for summer and I was home with him.  I put potties on every level of the house and one outside.  He went around with just a t-shirt on and we did a lot of sitting on the potty.  The pee training was pretty easy, but it took forever for him to get poop trained (he was almost 3 before he pooped at daycare...it was a whole thing).

Claire is already talking about pee and poop and she will bring the potty in and sit with me when I go.  I could so train her now if I wanted to, but I don't feel like it!  I will probably try with her over Spring Break and see where we go with it, and then get hardcore with her come summer.

The key is patience.  I have heard that girls are much easier than boys. I'm hoping that holds true for me!

Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"