New York Babies
Options

I used to think NY'ers had it the best...

...as far as commuting.  We don't have to own cars or pay for gas, hop on the subway at anytime and go anywhere...but now that I'm pregnant I realize commuting via subway SUCKS.  I have to schlep a tote with me everyday for morning sickness and pray I don't vomit on everyone on the E train.  This morning a man had his shoulder right under my chin and I thought "if I were to vomit right now I couldn't even get to my bag in my hand".  Then some guy walks on eating a roasted chicken.  At 8AM.  I turned green.  It would be so much easier if I could take my own car and smell my own smells, and pull over and puke in private.  How is everyone else dealing with morning sickness during their morning commutes?

Re: I used to think NY'ers had it the best...

• Options
    I know, right? For me the worst was when I was on the bus from Port Authority to my job. The bus lurching forward in traffic was just awful. I used to love drinking decaf chai with almond milk in the mornings. A couple of times drinking that while battling morning sickness on that halting bus and I cannot touch the stuff again. Ugh I get a little sick just thinking about it. Fortunately my MS is mostly gone now. But I'm curious whether people will give up their seats when I get on the train in rush hour once I really start showing. What are people's experiences with that? When I lived in Japan, a pregnant friend of mine showed me a special pin that pregnant women can wear to alert other travelers to their status. It didn't always work, but sometimes did. Posh, I hope your MS eases up soon and that you don't have too many roast chickens waved in your nose in the meantime. 
  • Options

imageCMac71:
    But I'm curious whether people will give up their seats when I get on the train in rush hour once I really start showing. What are people's experiences with that?

Don't count on it, especially during rush hour (at least on the NYC Subway). I find that if anyone will, its mostly older people or women. Young people are the worst.   A 100 year old person could get on with crutches and they would just stare at him. I must say, however, that I think some people are afraid to offer seats to women they THINK are pregnant but not quite sure (how bad would it be if the woman wasn't actually pregnant).  I also think a lot of people are in their own world during their workday commute and never look up and therefore, don't even see the fact that there is a pregnant woman standing.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That's a tough one! I'm so thankful to be out of the 1st trimester. It's kind of a sick joke how people are more willing to give up seats when you're showing, not in your 1st trimester when you are ready to hurl your insides all over everyone. I had several experiences where I had to get off the train, including ones where I ended up throwing up on the platform (gross). What helped was I walked it off. Just had to leave the train and sometimes walk to the next stop if not my actual destination. The cool air of winter helps tremendously. Also dressing in layers helped me a lot because I would get hot in my coat and sweaters and being able to take them off was a lifesaver. Also not trying to read or do other things like play with my phone, sometimes closing my eyes helped. And then those sea bands were somewhat helpful. Let's all be thankful it's not the summertime. I can't even imagine how gross a subway in the summer could make a nauseous pregnant woman feel! 

I have found people generally polite about giving up seats to pregnant women and elders, even people with young kids both mums and dads. In the case on unwilling passengers I've seen a few bold senior citizen ladies even get in a guys face and ask them kindly for their seat. Any man who would say no to that is going to look like a complete schmuck so don't be shy ladies once you get to that point. You're basically guaranteed a seat!  

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    I'm currently in my 3rd trimester and have started driving to work but had to ride the A train through my 1st and 2nd trimesters.  Thankfully I never had to vomit but definitely felt nauseous.  Bring a bottle of water and a snack like a granola bar.  Also, see if you can get to work a little later.  Sometimes just staying home a little longer in the morning makes a difference and you can leave when you feel better. 
  • Options
    there is no problem with asking people if you can sit. find a young person on the subway, stand in front of them, smile and ask if they mind if you sit for a bit. just make sure they can see your big belly! They'll be too embarrassed to say no and if they hesitate, usually someone nearby will offer their seat. That's been my experience!
  • Options

That's not just it!Wait until you have your LO!

I can't wait to move out of the city.People are so rude when you have to push a stroller. 

But I feel for you, I remember those days... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I take the Metro North during rush hour every night and it is always packed. About half the time I don't get a seat. Last week, I was so beyond exhausted, I actually was trying to think of ways to look more pg so someone would give me a seat, haha. I'm only 7 weeks, though, so that's a ridiculous idea.
    "She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I always thought I might throw up on the subway but it never happened luckily.  I did manage to compose myself and get off at the next stop for a breather and sit down break a few times.  One thing I did do when I didnt want people showing themselves in during rush hour is face the door.  No one is going to push up against your stomach!

As far as getting a seat, it depends.  I didnt show until late and then it was winter so it was hard to tell that I was even pregnant.  Even now, I see women and don't offer my seat unless I am 100% sure the womamn is preg.  Sometimes you just can't tell.  I found women to be more considerate than men.

I live just outside of the city and cant imagine getting on the subway with my baby during rush hour.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more.  I have to keep getting up and moving because so many people smell of something (smoke, coffee, food etc.)!  I always try and have water and hard candy when I get on the subway.  Try and read something to keep your mind occupied.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I've got 2 weeks and 1 day of commuting left.  I take 2 trains from Bushwick to the Financial District.  This morning (I am 36 wks and 5 days) I was standing in front of a 20 something year old who literally stared at my enormous belly (no mistaking it for being overweight AT ALL) and just left me standing.  It's APPALLING!  Anyway... I have approximately 26 subway rides left (need to count the ones to get to OB appts).  Deep, Relaxing, practice breathing is helpful both for the ride and for labor prep!
  • Options
    I almost had to stop my classes b/c of it.  2 trains fr bklyn to columbia.  One day, a man decided he was going to change his shoes and socks next to me. I can not explain what my stomach was already doing on that long train ride with the morning deodorant, cologne, perfume and breakfast smells.  Everything started turning black.  I wrapped my scarf around my face and walked away.  I started taking cabs to class after that.  By the 4th mth, my doc saw that I had already lost 20lbs, was only 100 lbs and wasn't gaining, so she put a stop to work & school. smh.   
    Pregnancy Tickerimage image image image Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"