February 2012 Moms

Meal planning

Do any of you do meal planning? I have been wanting to try it since I have heard it's a great way to save money on the grocery bill, but I'm a little unsure of how to go about doing it. I attempted it once over the summer but I never really stuck to it. The main thing that I'm wondering about is whether you plan before or after you go shopping.  When I did it before I planned it out before I went shopping, but when I was at the store I found some things on sale that weren't listed in the flyer. I guess I could just plan it before shopping and just be open to changes.  I would love any tips you may have though! Thanks!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Meal planning

• I hate cooking, so I don't plan meals per se.  The ex did all the cooking, so I'm having to get used to doing it myself.  Yes, I cooked when I was single, but it was much easier when it was just me...didn't have to put too much thought into it.

I know the concept, I just don't do it.  The idea is to make a list and plan your meals before you go shopping.  Yes, you can leave a little wiggle room for "what ifs" but to save money the key is to not waiver from the list too much.  I don't think you have to say on Monday we're eating A, on Tuesday we're eating B, on Wednesday we're eating C...you get the point.  But if you do your grocery shopping on a certain day of the week, you can buy all you need to make meals for the next 7 days...or more if that's what you choose.  I'd say doing it weekly would be a little easier than trying to plan meals for the next month or so (I know some people who only grocery shop once a month).  Plan 5 meals that are pretty set for the week, and maybe 2 more meals that could be stand bys.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• On Sunday, I make a list of our meals for the week, and then I go shopping. I don't often buy off the list. Then DH can choose what he wants to make each night from the meals, but it saves us money because we only buy what we need, and we use everything we buy. 

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • I found this 6 week meal planner on-line. It comes complete with recipes and grocery lists (just click the clicky tabs). Only bad part is it is in pdf format and can't be edited if you want to substitute one of your own meals for one on the list. I downloaded everything and saved all the recipes in word documents and was going to use it as a starting point for making my own meal plan... but its been months & I still haven't. I need to get on it!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-BauhiM3eNr-TU7ffi6dN-eoTrdRx6-xibp10G7kAGs/edit?pli=1

• I do it beforehand. Most saving are in the weekly ads, and it keeps me from overbuying. If there is a great sale that I didn't notice on the ad I'll get it, otherwise I stick to the list. It saves us money and time since I have every ingredient purchased that we need for the week.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"