New York Babies
Options

Best Stroller for NYC

Hey NYC moms and moms to be!

Does anyone know which strollers are best for NYC living? I have VERY little space(midtown manhattan), so I am thinking of something that might combine a car seat and a stroller, things that are very light, fold up really small etc.

Im due at the end of July, so I have a little while to figure it out!

Thanks so much! 

Re: Best Stroller for NYC

• Options

I tell everyone that it really depends on how you're going to use the stroller.  Will you be walking around the streets mainly?  Will you be doing shopping and need it for holding groceries and the baby?  Will you be taking it in cabs?  On the subway? 

Obviously, it's hard to know in the beginning.  I tell my friends to get a universal stroller frame - like the snap n' go for the first 6 months.  It's inexpensive and it folds to almost nothing.  See how you use your stroller - and then decide what you need.

If you already know how you'll be using it - here are my recommendations

A lot of city walkingUppa Baby Vista.  It has air filled tires which make such a huge difference on city sidewalks.  It's like having cushioned shoes vs. walking barefoot on the pavement.  It's easy to fold, easy to maneuver with one hand and several hundred less than the Bugaboo.  The Uppa Baby has a bigger under carriage basket than the Bugaboo (great for shopping) and can also be made into a double stroller down the road.  The only negative I can even say about it is that it is a bit wider than other strollers and I had trouble several times in narrow aisles - but you figure it out and manage.  It's a fantastic stroller.    I didn't like the City Select at all - I found it hard to fold and hard to maneuver with one hand.  All of this group has adapters to work with your car seat.

Taxi and subway friendly-- -Maclaren - There are cheaper companies than Maclaren- but I learned this one the hard way- you get what you pay for.  I struggled turning one while I watched my friend with a maclaren have no problems.  I tried hers one day and wow- what a difference!  Definitely worth it. 

The Triumph and the Quest are probably the most popular of the Maclaren line but the entire line is good - it's all about what amount you want to spend and the bells and whistles you want on your stroller.   The lowest level on their line - Volo - doesn't recline (a must to me).  The next level up is Triumph - good for once in a while strollers.  Quest - if you use it every day.  Up from there - just more padding and things like that.   The plus is it folds easily and most have shoulder straps to swing over the shoulder.  The negative - babies have to be about 4 months to use it (can't remember exactly what they say- 3 or 4 months) and it's not as comfy as the first group of strollers I mentioned.  It also doesn't work with car seats. 

Hope that helps!   I really did find it more helpful to figure out what you need your stroller for than just what people like.  Their needs may be very different from yours!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    imageJillAly:

I tell everyone that it really depends on how you're going to use the stroller.  Will you be walking around the streets mainly?  Will you be doing shopping and need it for holding groceries and the baby?  Will you be taking it in cabs?  On the subway? 

This.  We will be doing all of the above.  

After a lot of research and discussions with my friends and neighbors that are parents we decided to go with the Uppababy Vista AND the Uppababy G-Luxe.  I was really hoping to just get one stroller but most NY parents insisted you needed both.  I figured since we don't own a car, investing in 2 strollers was well worth it (and we were lucky enough to have family purchase both for us). Initially I looked at the City Select because I heard it was a nice cross between the two, but I didn't like it. I found it hard to steer with one hand and after buying all of the things that the Vista came with a la carte, the Vista was the better deal.  I've used both the Uppababy Vista and the Bugaboo Chameleon while babysitting my neighbors kids and the Vista won hands down (price, steering and folding ease).

As far as the Maclaren vs. the G-Luxe we went with the G-Luxe because we found it easier to steer, fold, and it felt sturdier.  Additionally, Uppababy's customer service can't be beat.  

Both are sitting in our foyer right now and don't take up too much space.

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"