Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Scared of toddler bed

we tried to transition my 2 yr old to a toddler bed last night and it didn't go well.  She like the bed itself but sleeping it it scared her.  DH and I decided she wasn't ready yet and plan on trying again when she's 2 1/2.  The only reason we tried was b/c baby #2 is arriving in 7 weeks and we wanted to give it a shot but she refused to sleep in it.

Any other toddlers HATE the transition and how did it go when you tried again later on?  She is a great sleeper and loves her crib and just turned 2 so I don't want to force it if she isn't ready. Baby #2 will be in our room for 5-6 months anyway so we don't need the crib right away

Re: Scared of toddler bed

• Options
    I'm not due until August, but plan on transitioning DD in the next 3-6 mos max but she's already 2.5.  We took her to buy the bed and she knows we have it and we have been talking about it with her - she's such a good sleeper I'm a little scared about the transition.  Sorry no advice, but I'm sure it will take more than a couple nights to make the transition.
  • Options

I just switched my DD bc she started climbing out of her crib all the time.  I intended to wait a few more months but it didn't seem safe any more.  

We used a bed rail for a few days and that seemed to help her transition.   Today was the first day without the rail (the bed is less than a foot off the floor) and she didn't get a nap in, but went right to bed tonight as she was super tired.  I'm hoping she gets the hang of naps in a few days- she just kept wandering around her room when we tried today.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We switched DS over to a twin bed (and new room) about 5 weeks ago, due to baby #2 arriving soon. He loves his room and bed, but is still having a hard time settling down when it's time to sleep.

We have a bed rail on one long side and the bed is situated in the corner, so one end and the other long side are against a wall. We first tried keeping his bedtime routine the same as we did for the crib, but that didn't work for DS. We're still working on finding a new routine that he's comfortable with.

And baby #2 is here now, so we're working with this new transition too. However, we have had some success with reading books, snuggling, and singing while laying in bed with him. Before #2 was here, we were able to transition from laying in bed with him to laying our heads on the pillow with DS while sitting on the floor. Hoping to get to that point again soon.

Naptime is easier where after reading, singing, etc, I let DS know that he needs to lay down in his bed and mommy is going to lay down in hers. Seems to keep him in bed most of the time.

Good luck! 

Oh, Baby Bean! We will always miss you! With us for 6w3d -- June 9, 2008.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2 years of TTC, Seeing RE Feb 09, 2 medicated TI cycles - BFNs, 3 medicated IUIs - BFNs, back to medicated TI cycles until IVF approval, IVF approved in March 2010. BFP on last medicated TI cycle.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

DS #2 is 2 weeks old (and two days). DS #1 moved into his big boy bed for the first time 2 nights ago. The room has been set up and ready since I was like, 4-5 months pregnant with #2. We tried some naps in the big boy room & it just never worked out. He wasn't ready. 

Friday he asked ME if he could sleep in there. And I knew it was finally time & he was ready. We are now on night 3 of him in the big boy room with no issues.

We are believers in following their schedules and time lines. I feel we don't have many issues that way. It worked with potty training & now this.

One thing I think helped was that, while was pregnant, we talked all the time about how the baby was going to be sleeping in the nursery and DS #1 was going to be in the big boy room. All.The.Time. It helped so much that he even asked me today if his baby brother was sleeping in the crib or not. He gets he. He knows what's going on.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD still loves her crib.  We are in no hurry to transition her to a regular bed even with baby #2 on the way.  Her crib converts into a toddler bed and full-size bed, so we're buying a simliiar convertible bed for baby #2 so DD doesn't have to have her stuff "taken away" for the new baby.  It costs the same as a nice bed set and mattress. 

I wouldn't rush the change if DD isn't ready.  Would she be open to sleeping on a mattress on the floor in her room or even a sleeping bag?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Our Little Guy due 4/14/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We tried a couple of times with him.  He did not quite get it at first--he slept on the floor, or he would not stay on the toddler bed. 

So we had to do cold turkey.  She got the crib.  We showed him that his baby sister got the crib, and we showed him his toddler bed.  He is really good in the toddler bed.  He has fallen off it a couple of times, but he does really good on his toddler bed now. 

And we also have a Snugabunny Rock n Play that his baby sister slept in from since she came home from the hospital.  When she started rolling over, we put her more in the Snuabunny so she would stay on her back. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options

She was scared and upset that the crib rail was gone, we had a bed rail but it didn't seem to help her.  When she got up I walked her back in and tried to sit on the floor but she clunge to me screaming and saying "Daddy fix my bed" :(

We ended up putting the crib back together b/c I don't want to force the issue if she isn't ready.  Maybe I'll get a toddler bed and just have it in the room and hope that she makes the decison herself to sleep in it

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"