New York Babies

Prenatal Classes in the city

Hi!

I am 5 months pregnant and looking for prenatal classes. I live on the Upper West Side and delivering at Lennox HIll. Does anyone have any information?

Thanks!! 

Re: Prenatal Classes in the city

• Have you tried the hospital?  I'm delivering at SLR and they have quite a few classes.  I'm pretty sure you could contact any hospital and they would have classes.  My husband and I couldn't find a time that worked for both of us attend classes so we ended up getting the Laugh and Learn Series with Sheri Bayles.  We found it really helpful and sufficient for us.  We are, however, signed up for the hospital's Infant CPR class.  That's something we believe you should attend in person.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • My OB recommend a class by Fern Drillings. She offers them on the UWS and UES. I start them next month so not sure how she is but I trust my OB on this one.

More info here https://ferndrillings.com/

• Loading the player...
  • I am going to Rosie Pope!
  • Hi, I live on the UWS as well. I'm delivering at St. Luke's which offers prenatal classes. The prenatal yoga center on 72nd str offers them as well. I have decided to take mine at Storck and Cradle on the east side. they have three locations they offer classes. i had several friends recommend them so thats why i'm going with them. good luck!
  • imageKiKiTy:
    I am going to Rosie Pope!

Have you started? Do you like it there? 

"She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Try Stork and Cradle on Madison Ave. www.storkandcradle.com

• I have heard from friends that the prenatal classes are not really worth it b/c it teaches you alot of information that you can find online or by reading " What to Expect When You are Expecting".
    I have heard that Infant CPR is a must. Has anyone ever taken Infant CPR thru the Red Cross? We are trying to do this as inexpensively as possible b/c we had alot of bills for IVF.
  • We offer classes at City Births!   www.citybirths.com
    I will try to be as unbiased as possible  : )
    So the problem with hospital classes is besides being over crowded and uncomfortable often the classes are focused on what the hospital wants you to learn and may not always be in the best interest of the patient.

What makes me different is City Births offers high touch personal service.  We keep classes very small, so lots of 1-1 attention, I have seen other places have upwards of 16-18 people in one class, we take 5 couples.  We also have very comforting seating, yoga studio will have you on the floor.  My teachers are all hand selected and we are very focused on providing evidence based info not some personal agenda on how WE think you should give birth, we also work with local OBs and Midwifes (Just met with Dr. Bradley on Sunday) to discuss the real deal with latest changes in medicine, not some outdated teacher who has not been to a birth in 10 years.  I also offer smaller touches like catering, assorted beverages, snack, spa like space.  This all for the same price, actually a little lower then a few of the other companies out there.
    In terms of not being worth it, that is only something you can decide.  But I like to think if you don't know what your options are you have none.  Lots of people find a lot of comfort from taking a class, but you need to feel what works best for you.
    I would be happy to meet with you, show you City Births, answers questions or chat on the phone. Just let me know!
    Kindly
    Andrea
    https://www.newyorkfamily.com/city-births-offers-unique-pre-ana-post-natal-support/
  • Classes in NYC all are so expensive. If you're looking for fairly priced classes, check out Hoboken University Medical Center. It's just a few minutes walk from the PATH train. They offer infant CPR for $75 (per couple)...and they also have a breastfeeding class for $35, and a newborn care class for $35 (per couple). They offer some birthing classes but I don't know how much they are. The classes are taught by a combination of nurses, doulas, midwives and lactation consultants. If you're lucky enough to have fairly liberal medical insurance, there are some places (stork and cradle) that will try to put the breastfeeding class through your insurance, so it will be free. While my insurance seems pretty good (they fully cover my breast pump), they don't see the breastfeeding class as a "medical necessity" so they won't cover it. That is the case with many insurance policies. Call yours to ask before you enroll at stork and cradle because if it's not covered, they charge $90 for the class!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"