April 2013 Moms
Options

Ate rare duck - worried sick

My husband and I are away for the weekend on a mini babymoom.  We went out for a nice dinner last night and I ordered duck.  I thought poultry was always cooked through, but this showed up really pink.  I didn't eat a lot and tried to avoid the most rare parts, but now I'm worried sick that I could get listeriosis or toxoplasmosis.  I've been researching it this morning and now I'm even more worried because it sounds like I may not get very noticeable symptoms if I have caught something but it could really hurt the baby.

Anyone have experience with eating rare duck during pregnancy?  Is it ok?  Should I not worry, or is it worth a phone call into my doctor?  Thanks for the input...this is really ruining my weekend getaway :(

Re: Ate rare duck - worried sick

• Options
    Duck is supposed to be served pink in the middle. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I cook a duck every Thanksgiving (including this Thanksgiving) and the breast meat still tends to be a bit pinkish when I serve it. I have never had any problems this year or any other. I think you will be just fine. Chowhound says duck is like steak: https://chowhound.chow.com/topics/407474
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm trying not to worry, but this wasn't just a little pink...it was really pink, almost red and went almost to the outside.
  • Options

imagestarlightstef:
    I'm trying not to worry, but this wasn't just a little pink...it was really pink, almost red and went almost to the outside.

Really, rare/mid-rare is fine. But if you're worried you should call your doctor to give you ease of mind. 

• Options

imagestarlightstef:

If it was so undercooked, why did you eat it? You could have sent it back for more cooking or changed your order to something else. If it was a fancy restaurant, I am sure it was a high-quality, non-industrial duck. But if you're really worried, by all means call your doctor.

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Options

Duck is typically served rare-medium rare. It should be cooked to 165 degrees per the USDA food website, and still presents as pink in the middle when it is cooked to this temp.

I wouldn't worry too much...but call your dr. if you're concerned. If you're not sick, I'm sure you and baby are fine...undercooked poultry would make you sick very quickly.

• Options
    I'd assume that if you aren't already in the bathroom regretting eating it, then you'll be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If it was a good place that practices food safety, which if it was a nice place i'd assume yes then you're fine. Listeria is from poor conditions.
    imageVincent Julian born on March 27th, 2013 DX with Down Syndrome image
    baby
      BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Duck is supposed to be pink/red.  It isn't the same as chicken.

For future reference, if you are concerned, send it back to the chef.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I agree you probably should have sent it back but, FWIW, I had bad duck several years ago and I was sick within six hours (and then sick for 14 hours). You're probably ok at this point. As a side note, I still can't eat duck. 

• Options

imageevertz:
    Duck is supposed to be served pink in the middle. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Yep.  Duck's delicious.

Also, yes, you might not get symptoms of something right away--but that also means you might not get them at all, or if you get sick, it might not be until *after* baby is born.

Both illnesses are extremely rare (no pun intended) so try not to fret and just be glad you had some good duck! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I ate duck that was cooked to have a rare center when we were in France back in Sept... I was 9 weeks or so, didn't get sick and LO one is healthy as can be :) I think worrying about it at this point is would probably do more harm than the duck itself...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurance.  I know I really should have sent it back if I wasn't satisfied.  I just have a really hard time doing things like that (ridiculous, I know).  I still feel fine, so I'm going with that and trying to keep a positive outlook.
  • Options
    imagestarlightstef:
    Thanks for the reassurance.nbsp; I know I really should have sent it back if I wasn't satisfied.nbsp; I just have a really hard time doing things like that ridiculous, I know.nbsp; I still feel fine, so I'm going with that and trying to keep a positive outlook.

I work as a server, and I always prefer someone send their food back than leave unhappy. My main goal is for you to enjoy your meal, so I appreciate it if someone who isn't happy with something gives us the chance to fix it to their liking!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageGrace0609:

What are you going to do about it now?  That's my take on these sorts of things. There is nothing you can do about this after the fact.  There's no need to call your doctor, IMO, b/c there is nothing that could or would be done.  I would try not to worry about it.  Either of those infections are rare, and you are especially unlikely to get something like that at a fancy restaurant.

This... I do understand your worry, but there's nothing you can do about it now. I ate a turkey sandwich at a restaurant a few months ago and it seemed a little weird, but I ate it anyway. Afterwards, I was freaking out, but everything was fine. If you were at a nice restaurant, you're most likely fine. Just avoid it in the future. If you get any weird symptoms, see a doctor. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"