Tennessee Babies

Home Daycare vs. Corporate

Hello,

I'm an early childhood teacher, so I've seen MANY different daycare programs and preschools. My husband and I were just surprised with the news of our first pregnancy, however. The game TOTALLY changes when you're the mom, so now I'm scared. Furthermore, I just moved to Tennessee from the midwest, so I'm totally foreign to this state. I need to do a quick survey:

Who's used a home based daycare? Are you happy with it?

Who used a corporate daycare? Are you happy with it?

I'm not asking for names of places, because I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable. Please be honest about the pros and cons, however. Financially, my husband and I will both need to work full time, and we don't have family or friends here to help us with childcare. Your recommendations can really help us with our selection process. Thank you!

Re: Home Daycare vs. Corporate

• Here's my thoughts on home vs. corporate-- I've thought about this a LOT.

I always thought (before I had kids) that I'd go with an in-home because they had a lower ratio, which meant more time for the provider to focus on my kids. Well, I've changed my mind about that.

I've seen so many in home providers being overwhelmed, and stretched too thin. Even a provider of 4 or 5 kids would have a very hard time watching each and every one of the kids all of the time.

We have been using a "corporate" provider, but I made sure not to use a chain one. We use a center that is fabulous, and being that there are two teachers assigned to each classroom (at minimum), and they keep their ratios at state-levels, I know my kid is being watched. Plus, they are in one room, and they have state standards that have to adhere to. (which I'm sure in home does, too).

I also love how all of the kids in my kid's class are in the same age bracket as the others. At an in-home, there may be 2 newborns (which are a LOT of work), a 2 year old (which is a whole other realm of work), 2 3 year olds (don't get me started!), and a 5 year old. That's too much in my opinion. With my DD's class, there are 15 kids between 3 and 4, which means that they can focus on a curriculum for their ages. 

I hope this helps. PM me if you want specific recs.  

Norah is here! Born on July 16th, 2009 7lbs 0oz, 19in and PERFECT! My Blog--Baby Steps, Foot Steps, Leaps, Bounds, Milestones
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thank you! I appreciate the information. I might ask you about the recommendation. I'm in the Bartlett/Cordova area.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have only used Corporate centers. My main reasons are:

Full time curriculum geared to my kid's age/ability level.

Infants separate from walkers.

No tv or other home distractions.

Never closed due to sickness/family emergency.  I know every day that my daycare will be closed this year with the exception of weather closings. 

Web cam (because I like to look at my babies while I work). 

And I just feel like overall there is more accountability with a center. More people to come help as needed, eyes in the halls looking into the classrooms.  

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I used to live on Bartlett did not have kids until I moved to northwest TN. However, I would feel the same.no.matter where I went. We looked at many daycares, in homes and centers, and in the end we decided on a centers.

I will stick with a center no matter what because, as PP said, age groups area more defined and typically state policies such as teacher:child ratio and accident reports are more accurately followed. And centers are more likely to offer a predictable, age appropriate curriculum that is more academically oriented.

That being said, you can definitely find wonderful in home daycares or a baby sitter who only watches a certain amount of children between certain ages. And you can certainly find daycares that are just places to drop your kids so they are legally supervised when you are working and nothing more.

I have a neighbor who is a special edication teacher, and she sends her toddler to an in home and is pleased.

We don't have any chains around here, but I have heard complaints from friends in the Memphis area about chain daycares. However, my aunt is in upper level administration for one major chain and travels all over the southeast now inspecting and furthering employee training, and I can say she has been completely dedicated to her work and the children since she started working as a teacher many years ago and then as a center and later regional director. But thay that only speaks for my aunt, not everyone.

ETA: Sorry for the typos. I am on my phone.
  • We are doing corporate in collierville but I work with a girl that loves her daycare center in Cordova off of MaconI believe. PM me if you want the name
              image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"