New York Babies
Options

Has anyone given birth at Mount Sinai hospital?

Just curious if the labor rooms are private, what the nurses were like, etc.?  Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.

Re: Has anyone given birth at Mount Sinai hospital?

• Options
    I have not given birth at Mt. Sinai, but will be in February. They do have private rooms, but you have to reserve one in advance and pay a fee of approximately $800-$1000  I believe.
  • Options
    The labor delivery rooms are private, but if you want a private recovery room, you need to pay for it and it's first come first serve. I believe we paid $650 or so for our private room (per  night). My labor nurse was great; the recovery nurses were more hit or miss, and I thought the LC was kind of an idiot (she m issed that LO was tongue/lip tied). BUt all in all it was a great experience!

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I gave birth there in December.  I was supposed to deliver at NYU.  I had a c-section so I can't speak about the laboring rooms.  I did not get a private room but was lucky enough not to have a roommate for the first two nights.  The room was nice- spacious, modern and clean.  The nurse who prepped me for surgery was beyond fantastic.  The c-section was not planned and I was a nervous wreck.  She really helped me feel comfortable.  Surgery was fine- my own NYU doctor performed the surgery and the nurses were from both hospitals.  I honestly don't remember much.  The Mt. Sinai anesthesiologist was good- I think a resident stayed next to me the whole time, explaining things and comforting me.  He even took the camera from my husband to get pictures for us.  

The recovery nurses were very hit or miss.  Some were really nice and others seemed to do the minimum.  What drove me nuts was the lack of consistency among them- i.e. I would make certain requests- i.e. please limit waking me up to take my vitals or combine it with when you give me my pain medication instead of waking me up every hour, leave my door closed, etc. - and while maybe one nurse would follow it, they wouldn't communicate the request to the next nurse to pick up the shift.  It honestly drove me crazy and I couldn't wait to get home.  Don't be afraid to speak up!  

I agree that the lactation consultants left much to be desired.  I was having trouble getting breastfeeding going and I got a different story from every nurse and two different LCs.  I attended the breastfeeding class (which is held every morning- that's a good thing.) but unfortunately my baby was out cold the whole time.  They did follow up with me but there wasn't much consistency.  This is one of my biggest regrets- I just wish I'd had some consistent help in this area.  It was very confusing.  

Also, getting released was a huge pain.  There is a sign in the room saying that you should be prepared to be out by 10 or 11 am.. ha.  We didn't get out until 3 pm... we waited hours for the pediatrician to release our son.  Ridiculous.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i had a great experience there. Like others said you have to pay for a private recovery room about 700 a night and it's first come first serve. have your husband make a run for it! the nurses were all helpful and super nice. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"