Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Rocking to sleep

Am I one of the few that still do this? We are considering some sleep training methods. DD is a great sleeper but it's a PITA to get her to sleep. We have a routine but she won't go down drowsy. She doesn't cry during the day for naps. She will move around in the crib for a while for naps but eventually falls asleep. I guess I shouldn't be complaining bc she sleeps on the whole pretty well. Anyway, I guess I'll be rocking her til she's five. :)

So my questions, how many of you still rock your LO to sleep and how many of you have tried sleep training and did you have success?  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Rocking to sleep

• Just started sleep training, again, but I still rock her to sleep. Naps are usually fine and no rocking needed at home but DC probably still rocks her. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • I do a bit of a mix, based on whatever works on the day.

I always try and put LO down drowsy, but sometimes I just have to rock her until she's completely asleep.

Having said that, she's been fighting being rocked more and more lately, so sometimes I put her in her cot and walk away. I think the heat her has made her fight being rocked. If she grizzles then I go back to her, and will pat, or rock her as needed. 

I try and do as little as possible without leaving her to CIO. So I'll try and leave her without patting. Then I'll try patting etc. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • I might be mistaken, but I don't think it is that big of a deal as long as when she goes to sleep, she stays asleep and doesn't keep night waking needing you to pick her up and rock her.  Also, if she is okay for naps and just needs a little extra attention before bed, I guess, IMO, it is no big deal.

• I still rock DS. Sometimes he falls asleep, other times it doesn't work and I end up having to put him in his crib and have to let him CIO. Fortunately, he has never cried for more than about 5 minutes. Tonight the rocking wasn't working even though I knew he was tired. I put him down and he screamed for literally about 5 seconds and then silence. Big Smile

• I rock still. She's 9.5 mos. I think whatever works for you. Eventually you won't have to. ....... I think. Lol!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I rocked DD1 for a long time, not because she required it, but I liked the bonding time it gave me with her. I think if she was giving me an issue and I NEEDED to rock her to sleep, it would have been different. Unfortunately, DD2 doesn't get that as much because DD1 is still awake when she goes to sleep, and I can't just sit there for 20 minutes while DD1 destroys the house. I have found that rocking DD2 makes me miss the window of opportunity to get her to sleep right after her bottle, and she just sort of stares at me, sucking on her pacifier like Maggie Simpson. So it actually makes it harder to get her to sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We rocked DS to sleep until we did sleep training at 6 months - he also didn't like to go to sleep drowsy.  I think it's a personal choice, and really dependent on whether or not you want to continue rocking your little one or not.  I don't think there's anything wrong with continuing to do so, if you enjoy that time.  For us, I really wanted to be able to put DS down to sleep anywhere, at my Mom's, traveling, etc..., and him being able to get to sleep on his own has been a blessing that way. 
  • acaudill, do your girls have the same birthday?? That's cool.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I rock him to sleep because I enjoy it and he is only small once... He STTN and self sooths pretty well.

Every once in a while he likes to roll around on my bed and fall asleep that way. I put on white noise too. This is a new thing for him though.

• I quit rocking little man at around 8.5 months.  I enjoyed rocking him so it wasn't me that was giving it up. He just wouldn't sit still anymore, he would grunt and growl, push off with his legs. So I stopped. My cousin said her little girl is starting to do this, she is 15 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"