November 2012 Moms

Christening thoughts...

LO's christening will be on 1/27. I'm trying to work on favors of some kind. I was thinking about Hershey Bars with labels with LO's picture and such. I can make those myself or order them. But my DH feels like we need more. Any ideas? 
IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Christening thoughts...

• Maybe this varies by religion but I've never been to a christening with favors.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Having our baptism 2/3. Never heard of favors for this event. We'll be doing food and drinks at an after party with cake and cupcakes but no favors
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekristin7701:
    Maybe this varies by religion but I've never been to a christening with favors.

I agree here
  • My LO was baptized on 12/9. We took everyone out for lunch and cake following the service, but did not do favors.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

•  Interesting to see how different things are with different families and in different locations.

Old school Italian family here on both sides. Favors are expected. Not sure if it is background or religion---but rather location? Here on Long Island these events tend to be a little larger? 

We have 110 people attending. Party will be at a local catering facility. There will be a DJ.

I probably will stick with the candy bar, but I also found a cute flower seed idea that is inexpensive. Might do that. There was also a photo magnet that was cute. I guess I will let DH decide. 

Thanks. 

• It's definitely location/local custom in this case.

I have a strong Mediterranean background as well, big party culture, but baptisms are definitely not quite that scale.
  • I don't think more is necessary. We will prob do a donation rather than a nicnac. 
  • W was baptized on 12/23 and we didn't do favors. But then it was pretty low key since DH is Jewish and it was at my sisters parish.  Small party afterwards in the church hall, then even smaller gathering at my sisters house.  Food and drinks provided at both locations.  

Turns out DHs family was really into it! There were almost as many Jews there as Catholics! 

• imagerdmitten:
    imagejg1011:
    nbsp;Interesting to see how different things are with different families and in different locations.Old school Italian family here on both sides. Favors are expected. Not sure if it is background or religionbut rather location? Here on Long Island these events tend to be a little larger?nbsp;We have 110 people attending. Party will be at a local catering facility. There will be a DJ. I probably will stick with the candy bar, but I also found a cute flower seed idea that is inexpensive. Might do that. There was also a photo magnet that was cute. I guess I will let DH decide.nbsp;Thanks.nbsp;
    Lol, I had a feeling you were old school Italian! DH's family is off the boat. I'm everything but Italian and am still learning. I like your magnet idea. I actually called MIL this morning and asked if I should be getting favors for the baptism. She hesitated but said "no, save your money for the communion". Apparently, that is supposed to be one heck of a party! Oh, and then I caught hell because I didn't order his baptism outfit from Italy...I ordered it from Macy's.

Funny Mittens! Yes---communion is much bigger deal! I can't even imagine! For what it's worth---I didn't even get to pick his baptism outfit. Italian custom is that godparents get that. So I had no say! Thankfully I like what was picked....although, I wanted to have it made from my wedding dress! Guess that's not happening!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"