Parenting
Options

Gripe water for hiccups?

DD is 3 wks old, and tends to get the hiccups fairly often around bedtime and generally has a complete meltdown after about five minutes or so because they bother her so much. If I hold her and pat her back, she calms down but they don't go away. I read on the 0-3 board that gripe water can be used for hiccups. Have any of you moms and dads used it for this purpose? We've used Mylicon for gas every so often, but never gripe water. Normally I wouldn't worry about the hiccups, but she just gets so frustrated with them, to the point where it's almost impossible to nurse her to help them go away or to calm her down. 

Re: Gripe water for hiccups?

• Options
    Hiccups are really normal for newborns. I never used anything to get rid of them. Since they happen so often. You can try it, but I wouldn't hold my breath for them working.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't know if it would work because hiccups aren't really a gas issue. Nb's always get hiccups and they often get frustrated with them, I don't think there is any real solution.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gripe water is basically a sugar water. Sugar helps the spasms which cause hiccups. We use it occasionally.
  • Options
    Yes, we used gripe water for hiccups and it works almost instantly.  Newborns get hiccups  lot, but they shouldn't really bother them, so it could be something else going on like gas.  We generally used gripe water if the hiccups were prolonged or interfering with feeding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageellewoodsSC:
    Yes, we used gripe water for hiccups and it works almost instantly.  Newborns get hiccups  lot, but they shouldn't really bother them, so it could be something else going on like gas.  We generally used gripe water if the hiccups were prolonged or interfering with feeding.

The prolonged hiccups are the problem. Sometimes they only last a few minutes, and they don't seem to bother her. But when they keep going and going, she get frustrated and starts crying the same way she would if she needed a diaper change or was hungry. If she was just fussing about them, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when she's already asleep and they wake her up or if she tries to feed and they keep making her body jolt, she gets all crazy like.  

• Options
    imageellewoodsSC:
    Yes, we used gripe water for hiccups and it works almost instantly. nbsp;Newborns get hiccups nbsp;lot, but they shouldn't really bother them, so it could be something else going on like gas. nbsp;We generally used gripe water if the hiccups were prolonged or interfering with feeding.

We use gripe water, too, for prolonged hiccups or if she gets them right after her morning feeding. If she gets them right after her am feeding she will spit up a good amount so we do it as a preventative measure. Otherwise when she gets them we give her a paci since sucking seems to make them go away pretty quick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageCTGirl30:
    DD frequently got hiccups and we used gripe water. It's very commonly used for that purpose.

Us too, but I don't think the brand we have is sugar water. It's ginger-based.
    I don't think we needed it till around 4 months, but it worked.  

• Options
    We used it for DS. He had horrible hiccups that made him mad and get so bad he'd spit up. Not fun. Gripe water helped a little bit.
  • Options
    I used them for my LO in the beginning also. I never gave the full dose, just enough for her to get a taste and that usually did the trick!
  • Options
    We used them for hiccups and it helped a lot. I started with 1/4 of a dose and it was usually enough. Sometimes she needed 1/2 a dose, but not often. Mommy's Bliss brand was my favorite.
  • Options

C had the hiccups before he was even born, I could feel him bumping into my pelvic bones or something, lol.

There is nothing wrong with having the hiccups. They are too young yet to be uncomfy about it, and it does no harm. C had the hiccups fairly often for months after he was born. We didn't give him anything. It wasn't really something to get rid of.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"