January 2013 Moms
Options

Membrane stripping

Ok ladies I know there are a lot of mixed feelings on the topic I am looking to think this through outside perspectives. Under what circumstance would you get your membranes stripped? I am talking in the sense of dilation/effacement. I go on tuesday to get my first cervical check since 35 weeks.I was 1cm no effacement then.

I am pretty uncomfortable in the past week. Heartburn has reared it's ugly head at night and it's torture! This is what started me thinking that I might be willing to try it but I don't want to set myself up for a bad experience. I was thinking if I had made some progress that it might tell me my body was ready and I could go ahead and try it. Ugh I don't know. I'm getting desperate.

I will be 39w3d at my next appointment. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Membrane stripping

• Options
    I would under no circumstances have this done.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I go tomorrow and I'll be 39w1d. If my doctor suggested it, I'd do it. I'm ready for her to come and would like to avoid induction if possible so if this would help my body progress I'd be happy to have it done. I will leave it up to my doctor though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had it done when I was a week overdue last time. I went into labor that night... but I was 8 days overdue. This time I will have it done sooner because of some of the problems I had in my last labor. It didn't hurt at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My mom had this done for one of her six kids (I think for my youngest sibling since he was reluctant to come at all) and doesn't recommend it.  She said it was SUPER painful for her.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe I should try not to be so impatient. It's hard though :( we are so close!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I went today for my last appt, and my midwife does not suggest stripping the membranes.  She did stretch my cervix some, it was not painful at all, just a little uncomfortable.  Before she stretched me, I was 3cm and fully effaced.  She said sometimes the stretching can kick start labor, and sometimes it does nothing.  I didnt mind because it wasn't uncomfortable.  I heard the stripping membranes can cause pretty bad cramping and spotting.  But, im a FTM, so I have am certainly not speaking from experience. 

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• Options
    I would only consider it if I was pushing 42 weeks and being threatened with a more extreme method of induction.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Last time I was open to the idea and I decided I wouldn't consider it before 40w.  I did have it done at my 40w appointment.  It didn't work.

This time I'm not as open to the idea.  I will only attempt it if I'm facing a medically necessary induction.  

Dilation/effacement doesn't play into my opinion at all, other than you have to be dilated enough for the provider to get their finger inside your cervix.  I think they can do it at 1cm, definitely 2cm.  Your cervix dilating doesn't really tell you that you're ready for labor though.  Meaning, everyone's body is preparing for labor at this point and for a lot of women cervical change is part of that.  Just because you're dilated/effaced doesn't mean that it's time for you to go into labor, KWIM?

If you do decide to do it, it's not super likely to work (unless you were already gearing up for labor anyway), but you're also unlikely to have any complications from it other than the discomfort at the time of procedure and feeling crampy for the rest of the day.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imagesbevmc09:

Last time I was open to the idea and I decided I wouldn't consider it before 40w.  I did have it done at my 40w appointment.  It didn't work.

This time I'm not as open to the idea.  I will only attempt it if I'm facing a medically necessary induction.  

Dilation/effacement doesn't play into my opinion at all, other than you have to be dilated enough for the provider to get their finger inside your cervix.  I think they can do it at 1cm, definitely 2cm.  Your cervix dilating doesn't really tell you that you're ready for labor though.  Meaning, everyone's body is preparing for labor at this point and for a lot of women cervical change is part of that.  Just because you're dilated/effaced doesn't mean that it's time for you to go into labor, KWIM?

If you do decide to do it, it's not super likely to work (unless you were already gearing up for labor anyway), but you're also unlikely to have any complications from it other than the discomfort at the time of procedure and feeling crampy for the rest of the day.

Thanks. I guess I was thinking if I were dilating more and effaced it would heed better results. I'm just grasping at straws here. I will just go with whatever my doctor thinks is best and not bug him too much :) 

• Options
    They tried it with both of my daughters. It is very painful, opens you to risk of infection and it very rarely works. It did not work for me either time. Try to star taking 3000 mg of evening primrose and drink 3 cups of red raspberry leaf tea. This should help some and by all means is not invasive. I know you are not comfortable but this is not the right route. hugs
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014
  • Options
    38w3d is probably early to be thinking about it.  Things can progress quickly on their own.  I am facing a possible induction due to blood pressure issues.  If stripping the membranes could help avoid that or aid it, I would do it.  Otherwise, I would avoid it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagechance_encounters:
    They tried it with both of my daughters. It is very painful, opens you to risk of infection and it very rarely works. It did not work for me either time. Try to star taking 3000 mg of evening primrose and drink 3 cups of red raspberry leaf tea. This should help some and by all means is not invasive. I know you are not comfortable but this is not the right route. hugs

This is great advice thank you! I'm feeling silly for even getting to this frame of mind now. I guess you never really understand the complaining until you're there. I thought I was a tougher cookie, haha. 

• Options
    I had mine done today at 37w 1d. I am about 2 cm dilated and 40% effaced. I am also extremely puffy and have numbness in my hands. OB thinks it is best to get her out sooner. I am also trying for a second VBAC so I will take all the help I can. Hoping she just has to do this one more time. 
  • Options
    I am going to ask for it at my 40 week appointment on Friday. I want to avoid a medical induction which would be set at 41 weeks. At my 39 week appointment I was 1.5 cm dilated, 75% effaced.
  • Options
    I had it done today at 39 weeks. It wasn't painful IMO, but the checks don't bother me either. I was 3cm, 75 percent. I've been contracting for about two hours now but nothing regular. I chose to do it because I am not one one of those people comfortable going 41 weeks and up for personal reasons. You may judge and flame as you wish. I figured if the stripping worked, great, if not, we'll schedule induction next week at my 40 week. GL with whatever you decide!
    ~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've had it done at 39 weeks with my other 2 and will do the same this time around. I've already asked my MW if it is something they will do and she said yes. I don't know why some people are so against it?! I had both of mine just a few days after my strip.....very worth it to me!
    DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

With DD, I had it done twice.  The first time wasn't until I was 40 weeks and was only about 1 cm and I think 70% effaced.  There wasn't a whole lot of progress happening.  My dr did it the first time on a Friday.  I went back the Monday and only moved to 1.5 cm and maybe up to 80% or 90% effaced.  The Dr did it again, but more intense.  The second time it worked as my water broke 10 minutes later.

I wouldn't do it until my actual due date, personally. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I wouldn't panic and get this done early. It sounds like you're a FTM and often FTM's tend to progress slower which is totally normal. What about trying some natural methods to get your body going -- acupuncture can help (so can sex, supposedly) as well as evening primrose oil.

Membrane stripping seems extreme in your case.

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Options
    I am 40 weeks today. My 40 week appointment is tomorrow, and I plan to ask about membrane stripping. At my appointment last week my doctor said we would look scheduling an induction at 41 weeks. I would like to try the membrane stripping versus an induction process.
  • Options
    I'll be having it done at my next appointment. I've done my research and feel it's perfectly fine and will hopefully save me from an induction the week after that.
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • Options
    imagesbevmc09:

All this. I would seriously not do it unless it was one of my only options. Even then I don't think I'd want to do it. 

• Options
    From a pain perspective only - not worth it. I did it and regret it. And it had no effect.
  • Options
    I dont see a reason not to. I had mine done with ds at 37 weeks and didnt have labor for a other 2 weeks. He was born at exactly 39 weeks the same day my LMP due date was. I didnt have any infections and didnt really feel it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo theboysanddany_zps4c74191e.jpg
  • Options
    I just had mine done on Monday. I was 39w6d. I didn't find it painful at all but I don't think it worked. I'm 90 effaced and 2cm dilated. I felt some mild cramping after and had contractions off and on all night but baby boy is still in there baking. I may have her try again next week at my appointment if he doesn't come before than. My OB is scheduling an induction next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"