Baby Showers

Location advice

Hi ladies,
My mom is kindly throwing my shower. She lives in Florida and I live in Connecticut, though, so it's from a distance. She was asking my input on location. She narrowed it down to two places: a rented room in a local restaurant or my home. I'm really impartial and would like to do whatever's easiest for my mom. She was wondering, though, what people prefer.. A shower at a restaurant or a home? Which would you rather go to? Also, is it weird to attend a shower at the MTB's home? TIA and happy new year!!

Re: Location advice

• both would work well I think!

If she holds it at a restaurant it might be easier for her since the restaurant would take care of set-up and clean-up, esp since she is planning from a distance. Down side it CAN be more expensive - really just depends.

That said a think a shower hosted by someone else at the MTB's house is perfectly fine :)

BabyFruit Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family image
  • imageStarBe:

both would work well I think!

If she holds it at a restaurant it might be easier for her since the restaurant would take care of set-up and clean-up, esp since she is planning from a distance. Down side it CAN be more expensive - really just depends.

That said a think a shower hosted by someone else at the MTB's house is perfectly fine :)

Ditto this....when it's at a home it gives you more time to set up etc but then there is the clean up factor. It also doesn't hold you to a certain time frame or max guest list vs a restaurant where they often charge per person for a scheduled amount of time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                                                  

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • I think the restaurant would be easier but more expensive. 

Your house would be more work, less expensive.

What is your mom's preference?  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Well she definitely wants to save money when possible but she isn't sure which place she'd prefer yet. I'd like her to spend as little as she can but don't want her to feel overwhelmed with traveling and getting things ready at my house. I also didn't know if it would be shady to have it at my house. I don't want people to think I planned it or something.
  • imagecinderin:

I think the restaurant would be easier but more expensive. 

Your house would be more work, less expensive.

What is your mom's preference?  

This is definitely true and so is the time factor (restaurants don't want you lingering and you can't always get in there and set up (cake, napkins, etc). Also, if it is at your house you won't have to transport any of the gifts!  I'm all about convenience.  lol
  • I vote house.

But if you do a restaurant your Mom knows that means she picks up the tab for everyone, right? Just making sure bc a friend did a shower at a restaurant and did not pay for everyone. That was not fun as a guest who bought an expensive present. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's a matter of personal preference.  I've always preferred showers at people's homes over ones at restaurants or function spaces. I like the more relaxed and personal vibe. But I don't think there is anything wrong with one at a restaurant.

As for having it at your (MTB) home, that is the plan for my shower.  I personally haven't been to one at the MTB's home, but when I asked here last month about it, all respondents had either been to showers at the MTB home and/or really liked the idea as long as it is clearly being hosted by someone other than the MTB. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of it at my home.  No need to transport gifts from another location and folks can see the baby's room (assuming we have made any progress on it by my mid-Feb shower!).       

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• My sister hosted mine at my home. As a guest I wouldn't really care either way. It is really fun to be able to see the nursery etc. Plus it's nice to not have to haul all fo the gifts back home. I just put them away as I had time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks for all the input! After sleeping on it, I think I'm leaning towards my house. Seems like people generally feel more comfortable and I'd love to show off the nursery! Plus it will save my mom tons if money if we just get a sandwich place to cater. Thanks again!
  • imageJulianna207:
    Thanks for all the input! After sleeping on it, I think I'm leaning towards my house. Seems like people generally feel more comfortable and I'd love to show off the nursery! Plus it will save my mom tons if money if we just get a sandwich place to cater. Thanks again!

Good luck and enjoy your shower! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"