Breastfeeding
Options

Newborn satisfied too easily?

Hi ladies - My LO is 3 days old and my milk came in on day 2.  I have always heard that newborns nurse constantly and for a long time, but she doesn't want to.   She is super sleepy, which I know is normal, but almost impossible to wake up sometimes to eat.

Anyway, she will typically only take one breast at a time, and often for just 10 minutes, 15 if I'm lucky.  She is swallowing the whole time and is completely satisfied afterward. She would sleep 3+ hours easily after a short feeding like that, but I try to wake her more frequently.  I have read that the first 2 weeks, they need to be woken and can't just nurse "on demand."

She has plenty of wet diapers, I am just worried because it seems she eats so much less than what is expected.  Any advice is appreciated!

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: Newborn satisfied too easily?

• Options
    You just described my LO!  She has never nursed much more than that (except for the occasional long session) and almost exclusively only nurses on one side.  She is 9 weeks now and in the 75th percentile for weight.  If your LO is happy, having enough wet and dirty diapers and gaining weight I wouldn't worry about it.  My lactation consultant says to feed the baby not the clock!  Good luck - it sounds like you are doing great!
  • Options
    You may have a fast letdown. DD2 only nursed 10 min max, on one side per feeding from day 1, because I have a fast letdown. If LO is content after feeding, making enough diapers, and growing well, she's getting enough. If your hospital has a bf'ing support group, you could go and do a weighed feeding, so you know how much she gets in a feeding.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetheresat858:

I actually disagree with the advice given so far, except for maybe doing a weighed feeding. I would do whatever you can to wake baby every 2 hours during the day and 3 hours at night, and keep baby awake for as much of a full feeding as you can.  Has your baby been checked for jaundice?  My LO was jaundiced and a very sleepy nurser for the first 2-3 weeks, and it was impossible to wake her up enough for her to nurse effectively. As a result, we had weight gain issues, and the only reason I didn't have supply issues is because the LC at the hospital advised me to pump as well when she was not eating efficiently.

Is LO emptying your breasts?  How is her weight gain? (You should probably have a pedi appt in a day or two for a weight check). Those things will help you know for sure what's going on.

We had to strip LO to a diaper and do other things to keep her awake for feeding, even at 3w old.

It's hard for me to tell if I'm empty or not at times; I know she doesn't always empty it. Right now I'm in the [supposedly temporary] engorgement period so I think I definitely have more than she requires.  Our first pedi appt is scheduled for when she is 1 week; the pedi at the hospital told us to set it up for 5 days, but being that they are closed today and tomorrow, I don't think we'll be able to change it. Hopefully a couple days won't make a difference.

Her jaundice "risk" at the hospital was slightly high at first, then dropped to moderate. She does appear very, very slightly yellow at certain times. My son had bad jaundice and she is thankfully not like that.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I will keep working with her attention span. With DS I mostly EP'd his first 5 weeks until he nursed well, so BFing an itty bitty newborn is still somewhat of a new experience.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    imagetheresat858:

I actually disagree with the advice given so far, except for maybe doing a weighed feeding. I would do whatever you can to wake baby every 2 hours during the day and 3 hours at night, and keep baby awake for as much of a full feeding as you can.  Has your baby been checked for jaundice?  My LO was jaundiced and a very sleepy nurser for the first 2-3 weeks, and it was impossible to wake her up enough for her to nurse effectively. As a result, we had weight gain issues, and the only reason I didn't have supply issues is because the LC at the hospital advised me to pump as well when she was not eating efficiently.

Is LO emptying your breasts?  How is her weight gain? (You should probably have a pedi appt in a day or two for a weight check). Those things will help you know for sure what's going on.

We had to strip LO to a diaper and do other things to keep her awake for feeding, even at 3w old.

I agree with this. I would wake LO every 2-3hours to nurse at this point until you talk to you pedi. I would go for longer stretches at night though, maybe every 3-4 hours. My LO was a sleepy nurser in the begining too. I had to strip him down and even changed diaper inbetween each breast to wake him up to finish feeding. Its really importnant that your LO nurses enough right now. Once he gets older then he will be ok to go longer inbetween nursing session. Good Luck!

• Options

She may just be an efficient eater. DS was the same way, he would nurse 5-10 minutes, 1 side only, and be done. If LO is having enough wet and dirty diapers, and weight gain is fine, I wouldn't worry.

Ask your doctor just to make sure. The orders from both my pediatrician and nurse/LC when DS was a newborn were to feed on demand and that waking him wasn't necessary after we went home from the hospital (we were there 2 days), he would wake up on his own when he was hungry. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member

DD was like this.  She didn't ever nurse for very long, and she only would take one side (except rare occasions / growth spurts).  I would occasionally wake her to feed her in the beginning, but other times I wouldn't.

I think as long as you feel comfortable LO is having enough "output" and gaining well you're probably all fine!  If you're concerned though you may want to talk to your pedi though or do a weighed feeding as others mentioned. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"