January 2013 Moms

RSV- What would you do????

DH just gets home and tells me that he has bad news...our 10 month old nephew (that lives out of town with the rest of his family) has been hospitalized this past week with RSV and although he's (thankfully) doing better, their doctor doesn't recommend anyone who's come in contact with him visit us and DD ( expected any day, definitely here by Friday) for at least two weeks. The doctor thinks my sister-in-law now has it too.

My MIL has been a huge part of our preparation for DD and was planning to stay with us the first week, as this is our first child. She's been so good to us and is so excited for her first granddaughter...I just don't know what to do. She's been at the hospital with them last week and is constantly at their house. She now has (what she thinks is) a cold...

What would you all do??? I'm not someone who freaks out about cold germs, but RSV for a newborn would be horrible IMO. 

Re: RSV- What would you do????

• Honestly if the doctor says people who have had contact should stay away for 2 weeks then that's what I would do.  I'm not overly concerned about germs either, but you don't want RSV in your house with a new baby.  Little ones are so susceptible to that and it can be really nasty.  It's not worth taking the chance, especially when it's a relatively short period of time that you need to avoid her.  It's great to have the help, but IMHO it's also nice to have a few days of bonding time just on your own.  So you might find that it's nice if you put off her visit for just a little bit.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I wouldn't risk it, ds has been home since last Sunday and no one has visited because it seems like everyone is sick or around a sick person.  As much as it sucks that my mom hasn't been here I know I am doing what's best for ds.  With your nephew being hospitalized I think they would understand, however they may not.  I would go with what your dr says but I'd prepare family for it now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely follow your doctors advice. Better safe than sorry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The situation totally sucks, but I, too, would follow the doc's recommendation. RSV isn't something to mess with IMO. It pretty much freaks me out, actually, coming from a preemie background but even knowing healthy term babies who have really struggled to beat it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Follow your doctor's advice!
  • I would definitely listen to the dr on this. DS ended up in the hospital with a virus that is basically a "cousin" of RSV at 4 months. It was awful and one of the longest weeks of my life. I cannot imagine going through that with a newborn whose immune system is even less mature. I am sure your family will understand.
  • Well, there's a consensus at least! That's pretty much what I felt the moment I heard the news, but you've all been my voice of reason.  I'll call our pediatrician when they open to confirm that he seconds their pediatrician's opinion, but it looks like we should prepare for none of DH's family to be in attendance.  I'm going to choose to view it like sbevmc09 suggested...maybe this will be good bonding time for the three of us. 

Thanks for the input ladies. It's a bummer, but it is what it is! 

• imagesbevmc09:
    Honestly if the doctor says people who have had contact should stay away for 2 weeks then that's what I would do.nbsp; I'm not overly concerned about germs either, but you don't want RSV in your house with a new baby.nbsp; Little ones are so susceptible to that and it can be really nasty.nbsp; It's not worth taking the chance, especially when it's a relatively short period of time that you need to avoid her.nbsp; It's great to have the help, but IMHO it's also nice to have a few days of bonding time just on your own.nbsp; So you might find that it's nice if you put off her visit for just a little bit.

This. RSV is SUPER contagious. Don't risk it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am typically more laid back about germs than a lot of people and there is no way I would risk it. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Our 11 month old nephew also just has RSV. He already has respiratory problems so his ended up turning into pneumonia. He was hospitalized for 4 days. He is better now but after seeing his struggle with it, and my SIL and BIL's, I wouldn't risk it at all with a newborn either.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Sorry, but I would tell her to stay away. The thing that is dangerous about RSV is that it can spread from droplets getting on clothing. And that "just a cold" that she has? It's probably RSV....in adults that's the only thing that you really see. It is in babies that the RSV causes so much trouble because they have such smaller airways.

I am a pediatric nurse and can tell you that RSV can be deadly in a newborn. I know it's hard, but honestly, you don't want to mess with it right now. 

• I'd follow your doc's orders. I'm a ped ER nurse & see tons of RSV every winter. In older babes it's bad enough, but the itty bitty newborns have an extremely hard time coping & often end up in ICU :( It sucks not to have the extra help, but I wouldn't risk your LO getting sick. Oh the joys of winter/viral season!

• I would follow the doc's advice. DD had RSV at about 9 to 10 months and it was awful. I couldn't imagine it with a fresh, tiny baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"