July 2013 Moms

Waiting till baby shower to tell the gender?

My MIL is planing the baby shower its going to be a nice party with tons of things going on. My MIL doesn't do simple even though I am very simple but she's excited and I am just gunna let her run with it (Is is her first grandbaby after all). Its going to be in May so I am not miserable or to hot. 

She wants for us not to tell anyone the baby's gender and do the whole guess the baby's gender game. I don't think I could even wait that long to tell everyone. I do want unisex baby things so maybe that will solidify them doing that? Most of my family and her's will be choosing girl cause they swear up and down it is a girl.

Maybe I will just do it if its a boy cause I know that everyone will be surprised (Including me). 

So what's everyone's opinions on waiting to tell the baby's gender till the baby shower? 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Waiting till baby shower to tell the gender?

• With our first we did a gender reveal party, it was really fun! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Mom to 4, pregnant with 2
  • I personally wouldn't wait until your shower to reveal the gender unless you only want gender neutral items. When I had showers for my daughters, everyone knew they were girls and I got lots of fun girl stuff. Can you play a game like "guess the name or weight or actual birth date of baby" instead of guessing the gender?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • She has tons of games picked out and I am sure we would be doing those too. lol
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've kind of thought of doing this. But not sure anyone else cares about the sex of the baby besides me and DH! But it could be fun. I wouldn't do it to get gender neutral items only though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStina2012:
    I've kind of thought of doing this. But not sure anyone else cares about the sex of the baby besides me and DH! But it could be fun. I wouldn't do it to get gender neutral items only though.

A lot of people think that the gender reveal parties on their own are kind of unnecessary and AW, but as part of a shower, it might be interesting.  However, no one really cares about the sex of your baby as much of you and YH.  I think people do prefer to shop for shower gifts with a gender in mind because there's not as many cute things in yellow/green. 

• Eh, I didn't word that as well as I should have and I'm sorry for that. I wanted the big things to be neutral because I love the way they look. I do admit I did shop by sex when I went to a baby shower too.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I wouldn't. You would have to keep your registry completely gender neutral.

Also, I've thrown and been to a ton of showers. More than 3 games is just too much. The majority of people I know don't really enjoy showers and go more out of support and obligation. Lots of people HATE shower games.

I know your MIL is throwing but you can still make requests.

• We revealed the gender of our first to immediate family only after we had our AS, but no one else except for the two shower hostesses knew until one of our baby showers. I preferred items that could be used again for other babies when we had them and didn't want everything in pink or blue. Those who wanted to buy gender specific clothes did so after the reveal if they wanted. I also had some hand me downs and bought the rest of the clothes needed at a JBF sale. It worked out really well and my friends really enjoyed it. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and what is fun for you.
  • I'd say no. you get a lot of clothes at a shower and if you already know the gender, wouldn't you want things specifically picked for that gender? You can still register for gender neutral items like gear and nursery decor if you want. But what if you want to put a purple or pink or blue blanket on your registry? Idk, I just think if you want to do a gender reveal do that earlier, but not at the shower.
  • With dd I did a gender reveal in the baby shower announcements. We only registered for gender neutral stuff, then people brought fun girl clothes and small things as extras. I'm really glad all our big stuff was neutral, now that I'm pregnant with #2 we aren't having to worry about buying anything except clothes (dd was a winter baby). 
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageluvmyducks:
    I wouldn't. You would have to keep your registry completely gender neutral.

Also, I've thrown and been to a ton of showers. More than 3 games is just too much. The majority of people I know don't really enjoy showers and go more out of support and obligation. Lots of people HATE shower games.

I know your MIL is throwing but you can still make requests.

Oh Gosh, THIS. No one wants to play 10 shower games, or even 3. This sounds like a shower I would try to avoid going to.

OP, if you don't want to keep the gender a secret, don't. It's your choice no matter how enthusiastic your MIL is.
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Trust me I will not be sitting threw tons of games myself lol. 3 tops that I like not ten I agree thats wayy too much and I wanted opinons on the idea of gender reveal on the baby shower. 

I probably won't be keeping it a secret but request unisex items that are big like bouncers, swings ect. I want everyone to buy those cute baby boy clothes or baby girl clothes so I probably will be announcing it in a cute way on FB like a pair of girl shoes or boy shirt something like that over my belly.  

She is excited that is for sure and she will probably not be able to keep it a secret anyways. She didn't want to tell anyone that I was pregnant when I was below 12 wks but that didn't last lol at 6wks she was telling everyone she met just like my mother.  

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"