3rd Trimester

Free Breast Pump

If you plan to breast feed and you haven't checked already, make sure you call your insurance company to see if your plan covers a breast pump. I called today and found out that my plan covers the pump and all accessories, including storage bags, 100%. They gave me two different websites that I can order from when I am ready. I'm very happy about this since I had gotten rid of my pump after DD because we thought we were done having kids.

Happy new year everyone!

Re: Free Breast Pump

• To clarify its not free. Most insurance premiums have gone up substantially. More power to you if your insurance covers a pump and yes folks should use the benefit as needed. But it does come at a price.

I'm sorry the whole healthcare issue hits a nerve.
  • imageMrsW007:
    To clarify its not free. Most insurance premiums have gone up substantially. More power to you if your insurance covers a pump and yes folks should use the benefit as needed. But it does come at a price. I'm sorry the whole healthcare issue hits a nerve.

It hits a nerve with me too but I am thankful to finally at least be on the receiving end of one of these social policies. Other than maternity care, I don't use my insurance so it's nice to be getting something back for all of the premiums I have paid over the years. 

• Loading the player...
  • My husband's company just got purchased and the new one offers better plans for lower rates (the new company is quite a bit larger) and they are covering a pump for me! I'm really thankful that people have been posting about this because I would have never checked into it otherwise. 

I don't think any of these posters are assuming the pumps are actually free, most of us pay quite a bit for health insurance. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you for posting this. My insurance premiums are going up this year and I'm glad to hear I may be able to get something for it.

IMHO I'm confused why someone using their insurance to continue providing breast milk to their child hits a nerve. Get pissed if it covers botox for wrinkles sure, but a breastpump?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am taking a BF class this Saturday and we get a free pump and bottle set. The class is free also so technically mine is free. I know that other have had to just pay a copay when they got theirs.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• imageSporatygirl26:
    I am taking a BF class this Saturday and we get a free pump and bottle set. The class is free also so technically mine is free. I know that other have had to just pay a copay when they got theirs.

Wow! That is one heck of a deal . . a free class and a free pump. I'd be interested to know if its a manual hand pump or what? I'd still consider calling your insurance because if you plan to do a lot of pumping you'll likely want an electric pump. 

My insurance, UHC, will cover a hospital grade electric pump 100%. As PP said though its important to remember that while you aren't paying for the pump, you are still paying. Insurance premiums increased almost $40 a month for my work so I'll more than "pay" for my free pump. 

• Oh goodness. Insurance premiums change all the time at least we are getting a tangible benefit that we didn't used to have. We already pay monthly premiums I for one think it's pretty sweet that this is one baby expense that's covered.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsW007:
    To clarify its not free. Most insurance premiums have gone up substantially. More power to you if your insurance covers a pump and yes folks should use the benefit as needed. But it does come at a price.

I'm sorry the whole healthcare issue hits a nerve.

That was my first thought too. Glad I'm not the only one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Does it have to be your own insurance or does it count under your husband's insurance too? I don't have insurance personally but I am covered under my husband's. I'll have to give them a call.
  • imageGreyfaery:
    Does it have to be your own insurance or does it count under your husband's insurance too? I don't have insurance personally but I am covered under my husband's. I'll have to give them a call.

If you're covered under your husband's policy as a dependent, and they offer the benefit you should be able to get it. I'm in the same situation and United Healthcare is covering a Medela PIS for me.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • I think it depends on the company too. We have UHC also but they won't cover until my husband's company has benefits reenrollment which isn't until April. When I talked to someone from UHC they said it was up to each company if they wanted to opt in now or when the plans renewed.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • so get this, since my insurance is government run they don't have to comply with the new FEDERAL laws... so my insurance doesn't cover a breast pump, aint it grand that they are able to exempt the military members and their families from the coverages that are required for everyone else to have?
  • imageMamaHook:
    I think it depends on the company too. We have UHC also but they won't cover until my husband's company has benefits reenrollment which isn't until April. When I talked to someone from UHC they said it was up to each company if they wanted to opt in now or when the plans renewed.

This for me as well. We just switched and when I called they said they would not cover it until August next year. 

• imageMrs E in Oregon:

Thank you for posting this. My insurance premiums are going up this year and I'm glad to hear I may be able to get something for it.

IMHO I'm confused why someone using their insurance to continue providing breast milk to their child hits a nerve. Get pissed if it covers botox for wrinkles sure, but a breastpump?

When insurance (or government) pays for something, rather than the consumer, the cost invariably goes up because the person using it doesn't have to weigh the value of the item against its cost.  For example, infertility treatments are mostly not covered by insurance--and therefore you can shop around by price for them, and they have actually gone down in price considerably due to supply and demand over the last 10 years.  Most healthcare costs (that are covered by insurance) continue to go up, precisely because the consumer doesn't see the cost.

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
    Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
    May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
    BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

• imagesekura:
    imageMrs E in Oregon:

Thank you for posting this. My insurance premiums are going up this year and I'm glad to hear I may be able to get something for it.

When insurance (or government) pays for something, rather than the consumer, the cost invariably goes up because the person using it doesn't have to weigh the value of the item against its cost.  For example, infertility treatments are mostly not covered by insurance--and therefore you can shop around by price for them, and they have actually gone down in price considerably due to supply and demand over the last 10 years.  Most healthcare costs (that are covered by insurance) continue to go up, precisely because the consumer doesn't see the cost.

All of this.

I'm glad that I didn't get rid of my breastpump after DS, and I will use it again.

Also, keep in mind for those that don't have their breastpumps covered by insurance.... they are considered medical equipment and the price can be claimed on your taxes. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGoldsgirl9:

imageMamaHook:
    I think it depends on the company too. We have UHC also but they won't cover until my husband's company has benefits reenrollment which isn't until April. When I talked to someone from UHC they said it was up to each company if they wanted to opt in now or when the plans renewed.

This for me as well. We just switched and when I called they said they would not cover it until August next year. 

I have BCBS but this is the same situation I'm in. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Keep in mind that some insurance companies will require a prescription from your doctor for a breast pump. I'd also ask about this when/if you call your insurance company.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  •  

You mean the health cover age that you pay nothing for? 

I'm not sure a civilian family will ever understand or know what the military family "pays" for their benefits. Although her husband doesn't write a check each month for insurance I'm sure the "payment" is there ...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I just wanted to say that even if they renew later on you should still have within three months after the birth of your child to claim the breastpump at 100% coverage through your insurance company. If you have a baby in March and your coverage renews in April you can still get it then (at least according to everything I read and the insurance rep I talked to). 
  • Well the military benefits are still considered part of their pay. As a tax payer, your money isn't a gift to them. You have no choice on that portion of their benefits only the government does. Just as a public service job, those benefits, whether they were collectively bargained for or not, are part of the contract or earnings that are attached to the job description. Nothing is given to them as free or by you personally as a tax payer. However I believe the point is, as a citizen, your rights "should" hold precedence over being married to a person in the military. 

• Um...take a history course miss. As you stated, we are a nation "BY THE PEOPLE, for the people" meaning your vote is only for the politician to "take care of you". Unfortunately, if you aren't a billionaire your vote is just another number. Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, have all been quoted saying that there is no way the uneducated common person can make decisions for the betterment of society; that is why we are a representational government or in other words a republic. Early Americans both needed to be a white man and a landowner in order to vote...I wonder why?

If it makes you feel better at night that you dictate you tax dollars well that is fine, but then try not paying taxes little miss sunshine, see what happens to your "power" then. The only thing that protects you from the government are your Bill of Rights and with the recent talk of mandating the second amendment I am sure the others won't be off the table. So, to correct you once more, the reason why this country is in the dire that it is in has nothing with us having control over our taxes and not knowing. It's because we don't have any. 

• Well Poli Sci Major, this is what you said, and i quote, "You mean the health cover age that you pay nothing for?"  

And my point is that just because you pay your taxes doesn't mean that she doesn't either. In essence, she is also paying for the coverage she receives according to you. Her point, that I very much agree with, is because she is married to her husband, who serves, she is negated the same Federal policies that every other citizen is guaranteed under Obamacare. That doesn't sound right. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"