Breastfeeding
Options

BF after Breast Reduction

Hello ladies!

I'm due in March and I'm starting to get a little worried about breastfeeding my soon to be LO.

Does anyone have any experience breast feeding after getting a breast reduction?  I had my reduction surgery less than 2 years ago and I *think* I'm 100% healed, but there are still areas of my breast along the scar that feel a little numb (which is probably permanent.)

Also, I know that not everyone lactates before giving birth, but I haven't had any leakage yet and I'm starting to wonder if this is a sign of how much (or little) milk I will be able to produce.

Can anyone offer any insight? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: BF after Breast Reduction

• Options

i would tell you to do what i did.

see, i want a breast reduction, before baby and BFing i was a 38 H now i have jumped at least 2-3 sizes. i was curious about BFing after reduction because i want another baby in the next 2-3 years. and i was wondering about BFing after surgery. i did a lot of reading, and looking at forums online. and one thing i have found is that every woman is different, and each surgery is different. i noticed that the longer AFTER the surgery, the more success.

i would check a lot of other websites.

if your ducts are intact then i would just try and try again. many people who never had a reduction have trouble BFing. patience and practice, and research!

after what i have found out, i am going to wait until after our next child is weaned before pursuing a breast reduction, i hope you can find what you are looking for. 

GL!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'll definitely be checking out that book and website.  (Although now I'm scared that my breast size will stay this big even after weaning - ah!)  

I'm planning on taking full advantage of the lactation consultant while I'm at the hospital, and will probably end up going to a bunch of the breastfeeding classes afterward.  I guess I really won't know until the time comes.

Thanks for all of the advice! 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"