May 2013 Moms
Options

Feeling horribly! UTI wont give up!

I found out I had a UTI 2 weeks ago.  I was put on antibiotics for a week, but things just seemed to get worse.  I was on Macrobid, which is what I've always taken for a UTI, so I thought maybe it was kidney stones instead.  Urine culture had come up positive for UTI but I thought maybe it was a bad catch.  I finished my antibiotics, but was still doubling over from bladder spasms.  The night after I stopped antibiotics, I had pink urine, followed by a blood clot about the size of a dime in my urine.  I called the Dr first thing the next morning, and went in for a kidney ultrasound. 

Nothing showed up in the kidney, so they checked placenta and cervical length.  All was fine.  Baby's heartrate was 144, and what was my bad little fella doing? Kicking me constantly in my bladder lol  I gave a urine sample, which still showed positive for a UTI, but they wanted to get a clean catch to send off for culture.  Dr. did a speculum exam and said my discharge was really heavy (I hadn't noticed yet) and tested it. Came back positive for BV.  He then did a cath to get clean urine.  He put the cath in, nothing came out.  He pressed on my abdomine, nothing.  He checked again to be sure it was in right, and it was.  I had to strain to get urine in the tube, and it was coming out around the cath.  Finally we got enough to send off for culture by him holding my urethra closed around the cath.

He still thought I had a UTI, so he decided to put me on a different antibiotic until he got the culture back.  I have had strep C in my urine (VERY RARE) so he wanted to be sure it wasn't something odd like that causing it.  Now I'm on 2 antibiotics (flagil for BV and ceflix? for UTI), and he said not to be suprised if I got a yeast infection and told me how to treat it.  He also thinks I have an odd shaped urethra and system down there, but we will worry about that after pregnancy.

Now DD and I both have colds, and feel horrible.  I wish it would all just go away!  This is the worst I've felt in a long time!!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Feeling horribly! UTI wont give up!

• Options
    That sounds horrible! Catheters scare me! I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. Hopefully the antibiotics will work this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds awful. I've been dealing with UTIs/kidney infection this whole pregnancy and am positive for Group Strep B. I have done a cath not pregnant before, no big deal. Then I did one while pregnant with DS and it was excrutiating. I can't imagine how it felt to have your poor urethra held shut.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, and yes, that was horrible, but he didn't know what else to do!! I just hope we can get it fixed.  I'll do whatever it takes to fix it lol
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Aww, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Being sick with a little one sick too really stinks. I hope by the time you read this that you are starting to feel better. I had a UTI that antibiotics wouldn't get rid of, but apple cider vinegar did. It was super gross, but worked!
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Options
    UTI are awful. I used to get them on a somewhat regular basically and had a hard time finding an antibiotic that would do the trick. Hopefully your new medicine will be just what you need to feel better. Hope you and your DD get over your cold soon.
    BFP #1 6.9.12 EDD 2.16.13 Ended in emergency surgery due to an ectopic 6.23.13
    BFP #2 9.6.13  Rainbow born 5.22.13
    BFP# 3 8.28.14 EDD 5.1.15  2nd u/s revealed Twins   m/c 9.21.14 
    BFP # 4 11.27.14 EDD 8.5.15  1 perfect bean @ 6 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"