Breastfeeding

Using freezer stash

I go back to work on Wednesday and I plan to pump at work. My little guy was in the NICU for 2 weeks when he was born and I built up quite the stock pile then. He still typically only nurses from one side at each feeding so I pump the opposite side a couple of times a day and get about 3-4oz each time. My question is when I go back to work should I start incorporating frozen BM or just stick with feeding fresh or use a combination? I have never had supply issues so I hope to be able to pump enough at work to provide for each days feedings. Currently at 11 weeks old he takes about 3 oz at each feeding if we give him a bottle. Any input is greatly appreciated! 
image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Using freezer stash

• As PP said, once it's frozen it looses some of it's antibodies.  If you don't have a deep freeze the milk is good for 2-6 months depending on who you ask. 

I wanted to start rotating through mine since some of it is nearly 2 months old.  We send two thawed bottles on Monday with one bottle of fresh that was pumped Sunday and a back-up fresh bottle that was pumped during the 1st feeding Monday morning.  The rest of the week I send fresh bottles that were pumped the day before.  I freeze Friday's milk to replace what I thawed Monday. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• I use frozen only -- the oldest first.  I know some people like to use fresh, but I don't think it's worth the hassle.  He is still getting breast milk.  Every night, I come home and pour my new pumped milk into a jug in the fridge.  Every Friday, I freeze it all into freezer bags.  My DC makes the bottles, so I just bring the frozen bags to day care.

ETA: he still gets fresh twice a day when he nurses anyway. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Philo

Baby N conceived after 1 miscarriage and more than 2 years of TTC. Diagnosis was low sperm count. We found success after 3 months of anastrozole to increase DH's testosterone and one IUI.
    Some charts AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. - Happy Gilmore
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO wouldn't take a frozen BM bottle when I went back to work(lipase issue so I had to start scalding) BUT when I mixed it with fresh he was fine.  If you want to work through your freezer stash, I would mix it 1:1 with fresh milk.  That way LO is always getting fresh and you're not going to end up with frozen milk that might not get used. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"