High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone?

Anyone else have a bicornuate uterus? heart shaped

Anyone else have endometriosis?

I'm 8 weeks 2 days!! First time mommy :

Re: Anyone?

• Congratulations!

I have suspected endometriosis, it's never been "officially" diagnosed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• I found out during my first (and only so far) pregnancy that I had a bicornuate uterus. Right away, that doctor told me i was going to most likely have a breech baby and need a c-section (which turned out to be true). My indentation is so severe that I basically have 2 separate uteruses but connected by a single cervix. Baby grew in the left horn--I didn't look lopsided until I laid down. I started having cervix shortening at 18-20 weeks and then funneling (partial dilation) at 24 weeks. I was put on bedrest at home, then a few days later hospital bed rest--total 6 weeks. I went into full labor, which they tried to stop but ultimately baby was born, at 30 weeks. She's a week from turning one year old and doing amazing--no health issues related to her prematurity other than being very small for her age.

That's not meant to scare you, because most women don't have that severe of an indentation in their "heart" shaped uterus. Doctor claims that doesn't make a difference, but i think it does completely; how couldn't it?! Baby is growing in half the normal size uterus! Also, I had an abnormal pap and then a procedure called a colposcopy about 4 days after I conceived where they scrape part of your cervix to biopsy it. They don't do colposcopies if you're pregnant, even tested for it, but it was negative at that point. I think that made my cervix weaker even than normal.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to ask more questions to me. I like sharing info and wish more people could've helped me--but there's not many people with a bicornuate uterus to share their story.

Go to a high-risk OB (perinatologist, I think is the right word) from the start and ask about how many patients have had bicornuate uteruses and their outcomes (how far along they get). My doctor said he had 11 in the last year and 7 of them made it full-term (37-40 weeks), and the other 4 made it to 34-37 weeks (where he thought I would land).

Hope that helps some! 

• Loading the player...
  • By the way, I've had very severe cramping and irregular periods, so a doctor I went to in college thought I maybe had endometriosis but I didn't take it any further. Turns out bicornuate uteruses can cause irregular, painful, sometimes heavy periods because they're not a normal uterus.

Just curious...do you know if you have 1 kidney or 2? I have 1 kidney and a bicornuate uterus. The doctor said that's fairly common, because they both form at around the same time when you're developing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"