July 2013 Moms
Options

No NT scan

I have my first appt with my OB on Wednesday and then I am scheduled for the NT scan for the 14th...I am actually a little annoyed because they never even explained what it was, (I learned the specifics from here) and just scheduled me for it as if it was just routine and not something I could opt out of.  The pamphlet they also gave me sounds like a commercial (heavily for the scan) from the labs that do it.

Anyway, MH and I decided not to do it, but we are kind of bummed that our next u/s won't be until 18 weeks (our last was 8 weeks).  I know some women don't get one until as late as 20, but my pgal brain would really love to have one again before 18.  I'll of course ask my doc on wednesday, but has anyone ever still had an ultrasound around the time of the NT but just didn't do the part where they look for risk for downs, etc? 

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

Re: No NT scan

• Options
    I'm having one this Friday because my first ultrasound was at 6 weeks & doc said that was too early to have to wait until 20 weeks for the next one. If I didn't have the ER visit my first ultrasound would have been at 9 weeks. I'm not having the NT scan done
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My MFM actually referred to this appointment as the "First Trimester Scan".  It is routine in their office.  I think for some practices it is routine and for some it is optional.  All of this being said, I don't know why any office would do a u/s at this time just to do a u/s unless it was elective.
    Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemegemoney:
    My MFM actually referred to this appointment as the "First Trimester Scan".  It is routine in their office.  I think for some practices it is routine and for some it is optional.  All of this being said, I don't know why any office would do a u/s at this time just to do a u/s unless it was elective.

Ah, yeah that's what my doctor's office called it as well, so maybe they do it no matter what.  I'll definitely ask more questions at my upcoming appt.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    Technically if you are not going to an elective u/s place, they are always going to look for markers/problems.  An u/s is a medical procedure, not something Drs do for fun for their patients.  So if you get one around the NT scan time, I'm sure they will still look for the same kind of markers.  They may not be able to measure the NT fold though bc that takes more advanced equipment than most OB's have.

• Options

We're not getting one either, so we won't have another US until 18-20w. I feel your pain! To tide us over, we bought a home doppler. Couldn't find the HB until 11ish weeks, but it's fun and reassuring. Here's the link. I hope it helps!

https://www.fetaldoppler.net/sonoline-b-pink.html

Anniversary

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

TTC/BFP/FF details in bio

• Options
    imageMrsMcC.10409:

We're not getting one either, so we won't have another US until 18-20w. I feel your pain! To tide us over, we bought a home doppler. Couldn't find the HB until 11ish weeks, but it's fun and reassuring. Here's the link. I hope it helps!

https://www.fetaldoppler.net/sonoline-b-pink.html

Thanks, I was thinking about getting one but wanted to wait till I'll be further along to make sure I can hear it, otherwise I would just drive myself more crazy.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

• Options

I initially had the NT scan mixed up with the amniocentesis (sp?) - until my sister explained the difference to me after my appointment. I called the doctor's office and they're making me go for my "doctor's visit" on Friday and the NT scan 45 minutes away on the following Monday. :(

I understand they have to "order" the ultrasound and it can take longer than a typical checkup but totally bummed I now have to take time off work on both days and drive 45 minutes away!

This will be our first ultrasound, too - which is part of the reason I elected for it. If not, our first ultrasound wouldn't be until 18-22 weeks. We've heard the heartbeat via doppler but no ultrasound yet. :(

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageluvmyducks:
    Technically if you are not going to an elective u/s place, they are always going to look for markers/problems.  An u/s is a medical procedure, not something Drs do for fun for their patients.  So if you get one around the NT scan time, I'm sure they will still look for the same kind of markers.  They may not be able to measure the NT fold though bc that takes more advanced equipment than most OB's have.

I was told for that appt to go to the office next door, and my OB is located in a hospital so I am assuming they will have the equipment to measure the NT fold.  I am of course fine with an u/s looking for problems...that is why I hope to get one, to make sure the baby is ok.  We just weren't keen on possibly finding out info that may or may not indicate a serious problem and the only further course of action to be tests that are risky.  I'll ask more questions at my next appt.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

• Options

imageluvmyducks:

This is kind of what I was trying to say as well.  If you're to opt out of the NT scan I can't imagine your OB saying let's do a u/s for funsies just so you can see the baby again.  That is a lot of medical cost that would go over real well with insurance companies. 

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
  • Options
    imagemegemoney:
    My MFM actually referred to this appointment as the "First Trimester Scan".nbsp; It is routine in their office.nbsp; I think for some practices it is routine and for some it is optional.nbsp; All of this being said, I don't know why any office would do a u/s at this time just to do a u/s unless it was elective.

That's what my OB is doing. I'm not having the NT scan done either. It wouldn't change anything and this early it's not needed. If we see something later on then I guess we'll see something! I want to enjoy my first u/s not worry!
  • Options
    imageredaero:
    If you really want to have another ultrasound before 18 weeks, why not just use the NT scan as a convenient excuse? It's not that big a deal. If the results of the screening wouldn't change anything for you anyway, then why not? It's an extra peek at the baby, and usually covered by insurance.

Though don't assume. Lots here are not covered. It isn't for us or any of our friends we have spoken to with varying insurance providers.
    I know it's exciting to see baby. But the time goes so fast. We saw ours last time at 6w then not until 20 and honestly it flew. Hearing her heartbeat was enough to tide me through! We are not doing the NT again this time. It will opt in for the quad screen blood work

imageimage
  • Options

I had a 6 week u/s because I was spotting/cramping and then at 8 weeks my doctor did a quick scan with a portable machine because the spotting had continued. (We couldn't see much with the small machine, but we did measure on track and saw the heartbeat)

But I won't have another u/s until ~20 weeks since I am opting out of the NT scan. Most likely my doctor will try to find baby's heartbeat for us to listen to at my 12 and 16 week appointments and that is comforting.  I'm hoping that will keep me feeling positive until the anatomy scan.

DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"