Parenting
Options

If you've had a terrible cold while pregnant: come in, please!

I need help!  DD has been sick for weeks now, she gave it to H when she first got sick and they are both still sick 3 weeks later.  I just started having symptoms on Friday and it's just gotten worse and worse. I have a stuffy, runny nose, chest congestion, terrible cough, watery eyes.  My cough is so bad, it's actually made me throw up because I just can't control it and then I gag myself, I guess.

I've been taking Tylenol Cold during the day and Benedryl at night but that's not touching it (both on the list of approved meds from my OB's office).  I barely slept at all last night because I couldn't breathe.  My OB's office is closed for the holiday.

Any ideas what I can take that will help?  Or what I should do?  This mommy doesn't have time to be sick, especially when everybody else is still sick too!  TIA!

Mom to two beautiful girls and forever labor buddy to the fab lady MandaPanda518!

Re: If you've had a terrible cold while pregnant: come in, please!

• Options
    Vicks vaporub, saline nasal spray and cough drops with lots of fluids and rest. That always seemed to help me the most. I have never found cold medicine to be helpful aside from helping me sleep at night. Try a humidifier with vicks vaporub to help clear things up. Hope you feel better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My OB has the following list of approved medications:

ETA: I am so sorry, and I hope you feel better soon! 

COUGH/COLDS/SINUS:
    Claritin
    Sudafed
    Robitussin
    Actifed
    Dimetapp
    Tylenol Sinus Products

Throat Lozenges

Cough Drops
    Benadryl 

Saline Nasal Spray 

"To me, you are perfect."

• Loading the player...
  • Options

+1 to the neti pot.  Plus maybe a shower before bed (without exhaust fan) and a humidifier in the bedroom. 

Sorry, it sucks so hard to be sick when you're pregnant.

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I ditto the sinus rinse and it is safe while pregnant. The lovely ladies here informed me of how helpful it was and I'm a believer. I had a cold that turned into a nasty sinus infection that was lingering and I was better in 2 days. I have an autoimmune disease so I catch sickness fairly easily. My DD was sick last week and I did a sinus rinse 2 or 3 times and never got sick. It's freaking awesome.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

By nasal rinse, y'all are talking about a neti pot?  I've never tried that.  I read an article once about someone getting bacterial meningitis or something from one that hadn't been thoroughly cleaned I think.  It scared me away from them.

I need to breathe though.  I have a humidifier in DD's room, but we don't have one in our own.  I think I'll stop at WalMart on the way home and pick up every single thing y'all have recommended.  lol.  I have got to get rid of this and get some sleep!

Thanks so much for your help!

Mom to two beautiful girls and forever labor buddy to the fab lady MandaPanda518!
  • Options
    imageandyyougoonie:

By nasal rinse, y'all are talking about a neti pot?  I've never tried that.  I read an article once about someone getting bacterial meningitis or something from one that hadn't been thoroughly cleaned I think.  It scared me away from them.

I need to breathe though.  I have a humidifier in DD's room, but we don't have one in our own.  I think I'll stop at WalMart on the way home and pick up every single thing y'all have recommended.  lol.  I have got to get rid of this and get some sleep!

Thanks so much for your help!

Yes, the neti pot. You can use bottled/distilled water; that might make you feel safer about it. I think tap water was to blame in those few instances. 

"To me, you are perfect."

• Options
    imageKJmashup:
    imageandyyougoonie:

Yes, the neti pot. You can use bottled/distilled water; that might make you feel safer about it. I think tap water was to blame in those few instances. 

Great idea!  Thanks!

• Options
    I used Vicks a lot and also tried to rest.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Mom to 4, pregnant with 2
  • Options
    Another vote for a Netti pot treatment.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have basically been sick my entire pregnancy. I would suggest sinus rinses and mucinex dm. mucinex will help with the cough and bring everything up and get it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"