High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Intro and question (progesterone suppositories?)

Mobile users: Intro and question (progesterone suppositories?)

Hi everyone. My name is Sarah, I'm new to the board, and I'll be honest; it's a scary place to be. I never thought the term "high-risk" would apply to my pregnancy, but here I am regardless. Here's the short story: I'm currently 24w4d along with my first child, a baby girl (EDD is 4/18/13). My diagnosis is an irritable uterus and a soft and shortened cervix. Current treatment is bedrest, nightly progesterone suppositories, and I received 2 doses of steriod injections.

Here is the longer version: This past Saturday, at 24w2d, I passed a very large amount of mucus. I wasn't having any other signs of prelabor, but the on-call doctor advised me to come in to the hospital to get checked out. Once I was hooked up to the monitor, they determined that I wasn't regularly contracting, but that my uterus was "irritable." The doctor examined me, and told me that my cervix was soft, but closed. At that point, she sent me for both transvaginal and transabdominal ultrasounds to determine my cervical length. Unfortunately, my cervix only measured 1.8cm. Since I had also lost a lot mucus, she decided to give me a dose of bethamethasone to develop baby's lungs in the event that preterm birth became inevitable. I received IV fluids overnight and started on progesterone vaginal suppositories as well (which I'll insert nightly until 36 weeks). The uterine irritability continued overnight, but my cervix was unchanged the next day. After receiving the second steroid injection, I was discharged home with bedrest instructions until I am able to followup with a high-risk OB and my regular OB either today or Wednesday at the lastest, depending on their office hours because of the holiday.

Has anyone used the progesterone suppositories before? Did you experience any side effects? I have only had two doses, but I basically feel like I've returned to the first trimester. I'm very nauseous, my reflux is constant, I have hot flashes all night long, I occasionally feel short of breath, and I have heart palpitations just walking from the bathroom back to bed. I'll talk to my OB about it at the appointment, but I was curious if anyone has used these and had a similar experience.

Phew, I'm sorry for the novel. It really does feel good to get all of this off my chest though! Thanks for listening.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
BFP 08/11/2012, DD#1 born 04/18/2013
BFP 01/01/2015, EDD 09/07/2015, CP
BFP 10/09/2015, EDD 06/01/2016, MC @ 7 weeks
BFP 03/12/2016, DD#2 born 11/15/2016
BFP 01/28/2019, EDD 09/29/2019

Re: Intro and question (progesterone suppositories?)

• Options

I get the same thing when I'm on progesterone suppositories. I really really hate them!

Hang in there, hope things go well from here on out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had them from 5-12 weeks. I was told to take the 'oral' pills vaginally, so it wasn't exactly like the vaginal suppositories. I remember they made me sooooo sleepy and nauseous. 
    TTC our Navy Baby since 03/2010.
    1st BFP 10/2010.
    Twins discovered @ 6wks.
    Natural Miscarriage @ 11 wks, 01/2011.
    2nd BFP 05/2011.
    D & E Due to PPROM, 8/2011
    3rd BFP 8/2012
    Preventative Cerclage @ 14 weeks
    ???EDD APRIL 7, 2013 ???
    It's A GIRL!! TEAM PINK!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had no side effects with mine. I don't remember the doctor ever saying that was an issue, but obviously it can be (you and the other people who replied).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"