Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Cold weather mommas - dry skin

We live in Wisconsin and it gets very dry during the long cold winter.  DS has never had skin issues, but now he has extremely dry patches all over his body that no amount of lotion is getting rid of.

Anyone have secret tricks for combating dry skin?  I try not to bathe him every night (but sometimes there is no avoiding it), and I have a humidifier going in his bedroom almost 24/7. His cheeks are the worst and I apply lotion a couple times a day. Any mommas have a lotion that they swear by?  Thanks!!

DS 11.24.11
MMC 3.30.16

Re: Cold weather mommas - dry skin

• Options

We use CerVe moisturizer mixed with Aquifor for DS eczema and it works great for dry skin in the winter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I still give my LO a bath every night to every other..I just only use the soap every few times in the winter. It still gets the sticky of the day off, but she's not dirty dirty like the summer so the soap isn't as important.

Then I lotion her up with staright coconut oil or Burt's Bees version of Vaseline (regular Vaseline would work too..I just happened to stock up on a clearance sale so I'm good for life. ;) ).

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Aquafor is awesome stuff. Bathe baby and slather a thick coat all over the dry spots before putting on pjs. I have put it on her face and by the morning, the dryness is gone. I bathe DD every other night and do this after each bath. GL!
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Ditto the Aquafor.  They sell Baby Aquafor but I'm really not sure if it is any different than regular Aquafor.  DD's pediatrician said "grease her up like a pig."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Use aquaphor
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Since birth LO's only gotten a shower once a week or after swimming. We use aveeno and don't have any problems. I have a humidifier in every room of the house and the heat doesn't go above 70. If her face gets a little messy I use a baby wipe or a washcloth to clean her up.  Until hormones come into play there is no need to bathe more than twice a week

• Options
    Curel Itch Defense lotion works wonders for us. I apply it to DS twice a day. It's formulated for eczema and is safe for babies. Aquaphor or just plain petroleum jelly is great for the extra-dry patches when lotion isn't quite enough, and occasionally I'll use cortisone ointment (not cream) on areas that seem irritated.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    coconut oil or pure shea butter
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagedesdemona39:
    coconut oil or pure shea butter
    we use coconut oil too. I buy it on amazon. We use aquaphor but only when it gets really bad. We use the coconut oil a couple times a day and rarely need aquaphor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"