Baby Showers

Shower hall is closing

I live in NYC and my mother is throwing me a shower in a hall.  We have a very large family (both sides) so she is inviting over 80 ppl which is a little less then my bridal shower.  Yesterday, she got a call from the hall saying that they a closing because they sold the facility.  They said they would still have my shower because the new owners will be taking over in Feb.  My shower is supposed to be Jan. 26th.  Today, the owner calls her saying that they will no longer be able to have my shower because the new owner wants to take over the hall on Jan. 1st.  They said there is another hall that will be able to take care of the shower for us.  My mom called today and the person she was supposed to talk to was out today and the person she did speak with had no clue what my mother was talking about.

I don't care where we have the shower but I feel bad for my mom.  She has been planning like a mad woman for months.  She is so excited about the baby and the shower I hope this all works out.  She can find another hall if this doesn't work out but she doesn't need the stress.  We both agreed it is probably better that we aren't having it at the original place cause who knows how the staff will be.  I would be pissed and wouldn't do the best job I could do knowing that I didn't have a job the following week.

I just don't get how they can do this.  Doesn't the new owner have to honor a contract especially when it less then a month before the party.  What if this was a wedding? I just don't think it is right for them to cancel so close to the event.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Shower hall is closing

• If there is a contract, they should have to honor it but like you said, it may work out for the best. That is a shame for your mom though, my mom would freak out.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• This happened for my wedding. No the new owners do not have to honor any contracts made before they took ownership. If they want to look good they will. However it's not the new owners who are cancelling it but the previous owners since they will no longer have ownership on Jan. 1st (if I read what you wrote correctly). I would try to contact the new owners and see if they can do anything and if not start looking for another place. Good luck.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I figured that they didn't have to honor it but still it would be good for business if they did.  We were planning on going there for the baptism but now obviously won't be.

I think she is freaking out but she doesn't want to let me know.  Like I said, I really don't care where it is or if I even have one.  I just know how excited she is and I don't want her to have any more stress then I am sure she already has

• I'm sure she will find a suitable locaton and if you like it then schedule the Baptism party there.   If  your mom doesn't have ideas have her check with the Chamber of Commerce.  They should know all the places that would be suitable for a baby shower. 

I agree that the "old" staff may not be working up to par if they will be loosing their jobs soon.  On the other hand, if the new owners are going to retain the staff (which they do sometimes) they might give even better service trying to impress the new owners.  Have the new owners said they would honor the contract? 

• they aren't going to honor the contract.  There are a lot of places to have a shower but they are all very expensive.  She chose that location because they were giving her the most for her money since that is where we had our wedding. 

• imagemhickey426:
    they aren't going to honor the contract.  There are a lot of places to have a shower but they are all very expensive.  She chose that location because they were giving her the most for her money since that is where we had our wedding. 

That is too bad they are not honoring the contract but I'm sure your mom will find another place that is just as nice.  Have you considered bringing in your own food?  I know in my old city there was are really nice Senior Center (yes...Senior) that was really cheap ($50 with a small deposit - just in case) and it was really nice.  Held about 200 people but of course with tables it filled it up nicely so it didn't look sparse.  They also had it decorated for whatever season (happened to be spring) so we didn't have to do a lot.  Be sure to check with the Chamber of Commerce since sometimes they even know how much places charge.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"