Babies: 0 - 3 Months

darker specks in poop...normal? or blood?

xp

DS had 2 dirty diapers today and both had the seediness look to them, but this time the seedy parts were darker than the rest of the poop. The poop was the normal orangey/yellow color, but the seeds/specks were a medium to dark brown color. Is this normal? Or could this be specks of blood? I know I've read about blood being in baby poop, but not sure what it would look like unless it was bright red, which this definitely is not. And according to google, digested blood can show up as darker flecks. 

Guess I'll put a call in to the peds office... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: darker specks in poop...normal? or blood?

• imageKemare20:
    My son has that too. I never thought anything of it... hmmm... let me know what your ped says.

On-call nurse said this is pretty common and usually nothing. She said sometime breastfed babies can develop colitis or irritation with trouble digesting something that mom ate that passes into the breastmilk...and it creates discoloration in their poop. But she told me to bag the dirty diapers and call the office when it's open in the morning....that the doctor may want me to bring the diaper in so they can test the poop because rarely it can be a sign of intestinal bleeding/something serious. Hope that helps! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"