September 2011 Moms

Sit still?

Does your LO sit still while reading a book or just snuggling? For the first time since I have weaned Bo sat with me for a solid 5 minutes as we read him an entire story! As I said that was the first time...and only time! I was reading about toddlers and not sitting still which is completely normal...I was wondering where does your LO fall on the spectrum?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Sit still?

• No, she doesn't.  The only exception is if the book has buttons to push, or flaps to lift ... Then we might make it through a whole book.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehisaak:
    No, she doesn't.  The only exception is if the book has buttons to push, or flaps to lift ... Then we might make it through a whole book.  

Speaking of flaps and flipping them! Can you see a gender-gentle difference between your two kids?

Bo rips, and I mean rips the flap books apart! I am dreading introducing awesome pop-up books!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Bridget loves her bedtime stories and always sits completely still and turns the pages for me.  During the day we usually make it through half a book before she closes it and slides off my lap.
  • C almost never sits still. Even before she was mobile, she wanted to at least be standing. She spent a lot of time in her exersaucer and jumperoo from about 3 months on because that was the only place she was happy.
  • He's great during the Going to Bed Book and okay during the Hey, Wake Up! book. We're Sandra Boynton fans here. He has a couple minute attention span for everything else though. I miss the days when we would lay on our backs and read (before he figured out how to roll over- that seems like FOREVER ago!)
  • During our bedtime story she'll sit still and snuggle on my lap for the whole (short) book.  Sometimes she'll sit on my lap for at least one full book during the day. Otherwise it's 3-4 pages and then she goes and grabs another one.

• N will sit and read a book with me (not long books) or watch pictures of herself or elmo on my phone.  If we are out and about at playgroup or such she will periodically come for a hug then run off again.  I get nap/night snuggles because I'm still nursing.
  • Not at all! I tried reading him the one you gave him and the book ended up in his hands and then on the floor... that kid is a little storm!!!! Btw is not the first time :facepalm:

• he sits still for books, he always has. And to watch some Blues Clues or Diego when he is tired he will cuddle on your lap. But not much else
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • C will sit still but he will not let me read it. He will flip the pages so fast. He just enjoys sitting on my lap and looking through it. Smile
  • She usually sits still for books-she loves them.  We don't always finish a book, but she always brings me a stack and we read parts of several at a time.  She will also sit still for an occasional brief snuggle but other than that she is on.the.go!

• B will sit for a few minutes for a book. She'll usually cuddle with me on the chair for a bit before bed. She drinks her milk and we watch Pajanimals.
  • DD2 doesn't sit still ever. Not for books, snuggles, not even in her high chair or car seat - she will dance in those seats as much as the straps will allow :)
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagetartertots9725:
    C will sit still but he will not let me read it. He will flip the pages so fast. He just enjoys sitting on my lap and looking through it. Smile

This is what my DS does as well. We have a TON of books... and I can usually read one or two pages before he rips the book out of my hands so he can flip the pages and look at the pictures.

Sometimes I kind of stress out about this -- because the experts say it's good to read to LO's.... but DS will not let me!  At least he's interested in his books and enjoys them. Maybe someday we'll have "real" storytime!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • He does ok for about half the book during the day. In the evenings I can usually get a whole book in. Max will read by himself for a long time. I'll sneak in and help him if he lets me. 
  • imagebecasmeca:

imagehisaak:
    No, she doesn't.  The only exception is if the book has buttons to push, or flaps to lift ... Then we might make it through a whole book.  

Speaking of flaps and flipping them! Can you see a gender-gentle difference between your two kids?

Bo rips, and I mean rips the flap books apart! I am dreading introducing awesome pop-up books!

Nope, both are huge rippers.  Flap and pop up books are only read with me close by. Lol. 

• Depends. If he really wants me to read the story or when it is quiet time before bed he will. Other than that C's all over the place.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• He does if it's a short book - as in 2 sentences to a page, and he can turn the page.  He'll also sit still for his bedtime story, but that's about it.  I still read to him, even if he's running around and playing.  He's still hearing the language, right?
  • He currently loves to bring us books and then sit in our laps to read them, but by 3-4 pages in, he's shutting the book and going to get the next one.

Once in a while he'll sit in our laps to watch football.  Of all the shows I try, football keeps his attention the best ...

• Most of the time no, she will bring a book, get two pages in and want down to go get a different one. Rinse and repeat. It sounds like Bo is pretty normal.

Every once in a while, especially when she is tired, she will cuddle and we will read a few books...I love these moments.

Recently, she has also become oddly opinionated about who can read her a particular book. "Horns to Toes" is one of her favorite books, but I guess DH is not allowed to read it to her...apparently, it is for mommy only.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"