April 2013 Moms

Stupid registries

Is anyone else getting overwhelmed with registering?

I can't stop comparing products and it is making my head hurt. Crying

I am so worried about not buying the "best" there is for LO. Especially when it comes to carseats, strollers, and pack and plays.

Re: Stupid registries

• Not so much overwhelmed, but more obsessed. I feel like I add something new or change something everyday. I just get on and look at my registries, feeling like I missed something. Then if I find something new I didn't see before, I have to read the reviews on BRU, amazon, and target for it. It's like a disease. 
    photo 606e6a9295ea7ed21bede1d01b391656.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Everything sold in stores today is tested and has to pass government regulations. So, technically you can't buy anything that could be more dangerous than another product.

I asked people on these boards what to buy and that was very hlepful because mostly moms who already had one child responded with what worked best for them.

Here's what I registered for after doing research:

https://www.buybuybaby.com/regGiftRegistry.asp?wrn=%2D548993204&

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought the Baby Bargains book from Amazon, even though it is a couple of years old.  A lot of the models haven't changed, so it helps me narrow things down and then I go to customer comments and make a selection.  At the end of the day, there will be things that you love and things that you wish you would've done differently or didn't use and shouldn't have registered for...don't drive yourself batty over it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedmbaf69:

Everything sold in stores today is tested and has to pass government regulations. So, technically you can't buy anything that could be more dangerous than another product.

I asked people on these boards what to buy and that was very hlepful because mostly moms who already had one child responded with what worked best for them.

Thank you for sharing! I have had a few people look over mine, but I still obsess about "am I registering for the right thing?" There are other carseats and strollers I would prefer, but I can't afford the $500+ for them and neither can anyone around me. I just have to pray what I did register for is safe (which I know it is, but still)  and will work for my LO. 

• I was informed that I needed to register for this LO because he is a boy and my family want to know what he wants and needs.  I'm constantly picking at my registry, tweaking here and adding there, because I don't want to seem grabby but I also want to take advantage of the possibility that someone somewhere might go all-in for a nicer item.  Egh.

// I love you too. //

• imagearteri:
    I bought the Baby Bargains book from Amazon, even though it is a couple of years old.  A lot of the models haven't changed, so it helps me narrow things down and then I go to customer comments and make a selection.  At the end of the day, there will be things that you love and things that you wish you would've done differently or didn't use and shouldn't have registered for...don't drive yourself batty over it.

this! A friend reccomended this book to me and I LOVED it. I used it as a baseline for almost all of my registry items. Incredibly helpful! 

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• I'm in the same boat. I change mine almost every day. I almost obsess over which colors to get, which styles, which exact item. Looking at other peoples' registries to "help" them or whatever just gives me more ideas of stuff I think I need to add.

I'm trying to keep it narrowed down, because we have a small apartment, and I know I don't need a travel lite crib AND a pack n play, and I don't need a swing AND a bouncer AND a rock n play AND a jumperoo AND a walker AND an exersaucer. So I really need to downsize... but I don't know what to keep and what to get rid of! It drives me batty.

Also same as PP, I don't want to seem greedy but people keep asking what I want, so I want to registry for things I actually want, not just cheap stuff or whatever. I don't know! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm sooooo overwhelmed because I'm comparing  everything & reading every single review.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagedmbaf69:

Everything sold in stores today is tested and has to pass government regulations. So, technically you can't buy anything that could be more dangerous than another product.

Not true.  Things like car seats aren't "equal" like brands of infant formula have to be by law.  Some car seats perform better in safety testing than others, for example.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • I think it's important to remember that babies actually need very little. We are the land of consumers and try to make it seem like they actually need a million things when in reality they just need some clothes, a place to poop, food, and a place to sleep. The rest is a bonus. Try to keep that in mind and maybe it will help you to not stress out about the little things. Last time around I felt the same way with registry stuff and this time around I feel like I have a lot more perspective on need/want. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I totally feel ya.  Here are some tips on the "big 3" you mentioned:

Car Seat -- Pick one that works for your car and budget.  They all pass the same standards, though, yes, some do go above and beyond.  I'm a CPST ("car seat tech") and I had a snugride for DS and will probably have a snug ride this time around too.  They're great seats and tend to cost less than some of the other brands (the bases cost less too -- compare Graco bases at around $50 to Chicco bases at around $90) and for a seat you probably won't use all that long, you don't really need to worry about fabric durability and other features.  That said, for different vehicles there can be other considerations like how much room the seat takes up or what installs easiest.  (You can't beat the Chicco keyfit for ease of installation.)

For the convertible seat, I say splurge on something that will last and that is durable (I like metal-reinforced seats like Diono and Clek as opposed to Graco and Evenflo, but that doesn't make plastic seats "unsafe"). 

Stroller -- I say the biggest things to consider are (1) how many kids are you planning to have and (2) what are you going to do with your stroller?

For us, we wanted a stroller that would grow with our child, grow with our family size, that could handle the gravel roads where my parents live and any other terrain, and that was built to last.  We ended up choosing the UPPAbaby Vista and LOVE it.  We used it in snap-n-go form or bassinet for the first couple of months and were then able to use the standard seat around 4 mos, while still occasionally using the snap-n-go form when we wanted to use the car seat (and it easily transitioned from one form to the other).  We purchased the ride behind platform about a year ago so we could use our stroller for DS and his slightly older cousin.  We are debating whether to get the rumble seat for DS now (he's 3) or just use the ride behind when LO arrives.  It's been an awesome stroller and after 3 years of regular use, it's still in fantastic shape and I have no doubt that it'll last at least another 3 years. 

Unless you plan to have one child and only walk in the mall or on nice sidewalks, I see a great stroller as an investment to your family's furture and your sanity. 

Pack N Play -- you will probably not use all the bells and whistles so just pick something you like.  Having the changer attachment is nice but is outgrown quickly.  I'd say, unless you find something you just love more than something else, get something with a bassinet that you think is cute/coordinates with your home decor.  We had our PnP out for probably 2 years with DS so it was nice coordinating it somewhat with my family room decor.  By 5-6 mos, ALL of the accessories (changer, bassinet, sound & lights machine, hood) were in storage.  I do highly recommend the bassinet feature so you don't have to bend down so far for a newborn, but other than that, just pick something you like. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imagelifesadance:
    I totally feel ya.nbsp; Here are some tips on the "big 3" you mentioned:
    Carnbsp;Seat Pick one that works for your car and budget.nbsp; They all pass the same standards, though, yes, somenbsp;do go above andnbsp;beyond.nbsp; I'm a CPST "car seat tech" and I had a snugride for DS and will probably have a snug ride this time around too.nbsp; They're great seats and tend to cost less than some of the other brands the bases cost less too compare Graco bases at around 50 to Chicco bases at around 90 and for a seat you probably won't use all that long, you don't really need to worry about fabric durability and other features.nbsp; That said, for different vehicles there can be other considerations like how much room the seat takes up or what installs easiest.nbsp; You can't beat the Chicco keyfit for ease of installation.
    For the convertible seat, I say splurge on something that will last and that is durable I like metalreinforced seats like Diono and Clek as opposed to Graco and Evenflo, but that doesn't make plastic seats "unsafe".nbsp;
    Stroller I say the biggest things to consider are 1 how many kids are you planning to have and 2 what are you going to do with your stroller?
    For us, we wanted a stroller that would grow with our child, grow with our family size, that could handle the gravel roads where my parents live and any other terrain, and that was built to last.nbsp; We ended up choosing the UPPAbaby Vista and LOVE it.nbsp; We used it in snapngo form or bassinet for the first couple of months and were then able to use the standard seat around 4 mos, while still occasionally using the snapngo form when we wanted to use the car seat and it easily transitioned from one form to the other.nbsp; We purchased the ride behind platform about a year ago so we could use our stroller for DS and his slightly older cousin.nbsp; We are debating whether to get the rumble seat for DS now he's 3 or just use the ride behind when LO arrives.nbsp; It's been an awesome stroller and after 3 years of regular use, it's still in fantastic shape and I have no doubt that it'll last at least another 3 years.nbsp;
    Unless you plan to have one child and only walk in the mall or on nice sidewalks, I see a great stroller as an investment to your family's furture and your sanity.nbsp;
    Pack N Play you will probably not use all the bells and whistles so just pick something you like.nbsp; Having the changer attachment is nice but is outgrown quickly.nbsp; I'd say, unless you find something you just love more than something else, get something with a bassinet that you think is cute/coordinates with your home decor.nbsp; We had our PnP out for probably 2 years with DS so it was nice coordinating it somewhat with my family room decor.nbsp; Bynbsp;56 mos, ALL of the accessories changer, bassinet, sound amp; lights machine, hood were in storage.nbsp; I do highly recommend the bassinet feature so you don't have to bend down so far for a newborn, but other than that, just pick something you like.nbsp;
    nbsp;

Thank you! I am currently registered for a Graco traveling system and haven't looked at strollers passed DD's first year because I don't know what our plans are. I'm also registered for a Graco PNP with bassinet and changing attachment I mainly just like the pattern. I registered for a RNP as well but I honestly don't know which she should sleep in until we move her to the crib.
  • imagesed8611:
    imagelifesadance:
    Thank you! I am currently registered for a Graco traveling system and haven't looked at strollers passed DD's first year because I don't know what our plans are. I'm also registered for a Graco PNP with bassinet and changing attachment I mainly just like the pattern. I registered for a RNP as well but I honestly don't know which she should sleep in until we move her to the crib.

I think I'm going to get a RnP this time too (probably find one on CL since this is our last LO) because a couple people I know said they're fantastic for keeping snuggly newborns sleeping longer.  Who knows if that is true but DS would never sleep longer than 2-3 hours in a stretch until around 9 months so I'm willing to try anything that might help me get some sleep. :o)

• imagelifesadance:

imagesed8611:
    imagelifesadance:

I think I'm going to get a RnP this time too (probably find one on CL since this is our last LO) because a couple people I know said they're fantastic for keeping snuggly newborns sleeping longer.  Who knows if that is true but DS would never sleep longer than 2-3 hours in a stretch until around 9 months so I'm willing to try anything that might help me get some sleep. :o)

That's the only reason I registered. I had several mommy friends tell me it was wonderful. So now I don't know if I should get a cheaper PNP without the sleeper and changer option. 

• imagesed8611:
    imagelifesadance:

imagesed8611:
    imagelifesadance:

That's the only reason I registered. I had several mommy friends tell me it was wonderful. So now I don't know if I should get a cheaper PNP without the sleeper and changer option. 

If you're going with a RnP, you could get by without the deluxe PnP probably but the bassinet not the newborn mapper thing was nice to have. Hmmm... I suppose if I didn't already have the PnP, I'd register for the PnP w/ bassinet and changer and if someone buys it for you that's great otherwise hold off buying one until you see how the RnP works for you...??? It's a tough decision.
  • imagelifesadance:
    imagesed8611:
    imagelifesadance:

imagesed8611:
    imagelifesadance:

If you're going with a RnP, you could get by without the deluxe PnP probably but the bassinet not the newborn mapper thing was nice to have. Hmmm... I suppose if I didn't already have the PnP, I'd register for the PnP w/ bassinet and changer and if someone buys it for you that's great otherwise hold off buying one until you see how the RnP works for you...??? It's a tough decision.

This is the one I registered for: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11959537

In fact, I am pretty much sticking to the Elefanta line.

• No matter what you register for you will find things that you wish you could change about it eventually.  Plus, you may find something better some day along the road.  But, it will most likely serve it's purpose.  I suggest getting as little as possible.  We have so much stuff we never used and I am pawning it off on a FTM friend who says she wants it.  All moms are different. It's possible she will actually use those things, but I don't need them filling my house.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"