2nd Trimester
Options

STM's.. Q's about cribs

I'm having some difficulty picking out a crib. My first choice is the mini co sleeper, I plan on breastfeeding. But i'm starting to read reviews and there's alot of people who don't like it, the bed sags, ect. I also read that babies can only sleep in it until they can pull themselves up (6-8 months). I want something that will last for at least a year or two. 

I'm now thinking of getting a standard or convertible/portable crib, but I still want the ease of getting the baby in and out of it. Is there any crib out there with a bassinet feature, or where you can pull down part of the rail? 

Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker

Re: STM's.. Q's about cribs

• Options

The things you want will not happen. The co sleeper and a crib have 2 completely different functions. The cosleeper is meant to be a bassinet that sidecars onto the bed. Thus making it easy to pick up and breast feed in the middle of the night, touch baby, ect without having them actually in bed.

Cribs are essentially a bed jail. No, they do not have sides that go up and down. That feature was removed a few years ago due to infant death. You can get a crib with adjustible mattress heights, but you will still have to get up, grab the baby, and be picking it up out of bed. Not ideal if you would prefer a cosleeper.

The functions are so different for the 2 I have both. The first few months we plan on using the cosleeper or RnP next to my side of the bed. In 6-8 months we will transition to the crib. The crib will be their more permanent bed until they are ready for a toddler bed in another year or so.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Maybe you should try going with a pack n play? Baby can sleep in the basinette part for several months, and by then can transition to a real crib.

Drop sides have been deemed unsafe.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, unfortunately, I think you just need both a crib and something like a co-sleeper.  Also take a look at the Rock 'n Play because you could have that right next to the bed and many babies like the incline of it and it's inexpensive.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagerpalen29:

I'm having some difficulty picking out a crib. My first choice is the mini co sleeper, I plan on breastfeeding. But i'm starting to read reviews and there's alot of people who don't like it, the bed sags, ect. I also read that babies can only sleep in it until they can pull themselves up (6-8 months). I want something that will last for at least a year or two. 

I'm now thinking of getting a standard or convertible/portable crib, but I still want the ease of getting the baby in and out of it. Is there any crib out there with a bassinet feature, or where you can pull down part of the rail? 

We have a regular ol' crib and it's very easy to get DS in and out. Most cribs have different "settings" where you can raise and lower the mattress (lower for when they get older and so they can't climb out). Drop side cribs (where you can pull down the rail) are pretty much banned now because of safety reasons. You can find them used but I don't believe you can guy them new.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options

Do you mean ease of getting baby in and out during the night for feedings?

I never mastered side-lying nursing so I always had to sit up to nurse DS and it really wasn't that hard to pick him up during the night.

Crib mattresses have different level settings. At first you put it pretty high and then lower it as baby learns to sit, stand, etc. Even once it's on the lowest setting it's really not that hard to get baby in and out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've used a lot of different sleeping options for my two kids.  With DS1, he started in a bassinet and occasionally slept in a pack and play.  After 3 months or so, we started putting him in his crib (DaVinci Emily) but co-slept a lot until 8 or 9 mos. when we put him in his crib all the time.  

With DS2, I got the mini-cosleeper and loved how close he was to me and how easy it was to reach him.  At about 6 mos or so, he started sleeping more in his crib.  DS1 was still using his crib, so we got another one from a friend, the Baby's Dream Generation Next .  You might like this crib, because it has a drop gate (NOT a drop side!!!), so it is really easy to get baby in and out.  I liked it better than DS1's crib b/c with the gate up, the sides are higher and when the baby is older, it can't climb out as easily.

For DS3, I'm not sure if I will even use the co-sleeper or not.  I think I might just get a rock and play and have him sleep in that at first.  After that, I will have him use DS2's crib for sure.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    The things you want will not happen. The co sleeper and a crib have 2 completely different functions. The cosleeper is meant to be a bassinet that sidecars onto the bed. Thus making it easy to pick up and breast feed in the middle of the night, touch baby, ect without having them actually in bed.Cribs are essentially a bed jail. No, they do not have sides that go up and down. That feature was removed a few years ago due to infant death. You can get a crib with adjustible mattress heights, but you will still have to get up, grab the baby, and be picking it up out of bed. Not ideal if you would prefer a cosleeper.The functions are so different for the 2 I have both. The first few months we plan on using the cosleeper or RnP next to my side of the bed. In 68 months we will transition to the crib. The crib will be their more permanent bed until they are ready for a toddler bed in another year or so.

Nana is wise.

We have a bassinet, although we bedshared frequently with DS. We also have a crib, where he slept after about 5 months.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"