December 2012 Moms

Rant

I never realized how extremely obnoxious it was to tell someone how big their baby is until I had a big baby. Oh, my baby is big? Really? I had absolutely no idea. Oh, your niece/grandson/neighbor's baby is so much older than mine and even smaller than mine? That's fantastic too. I know it's not supposed to be offensive, but I do find it mildly offensive and very annoying. I know my baby is on the bigger side, I don't need you to point it out Captain Obvious. My firstborn was really tiny - always in the 10 percentile or lower for weight - so I definitely get that my second is much bigger. And, honestly, she's not even THAT big. She is currently 8lbs 13oz and 22in long. And she wears newborn clothes and newborn diapers.
End rant.

Re: Rant

• Eh, people just need something to comment on. If I had a nickel for how often we hear "oh, she's so tiny!" It's the new baby equivalent of their comments on our pregnant bellies, you know?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What I find amusing is that we get both 'oh she's so tiny' and 'wow, she was a big baby'....she can't be both big AND tiny at the same time, lol..she was 8lbs 1oz at birth..

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Loading the player...
  • imagekerbear135:
    What I find amusing is that we get both 'oh she's so tiny' and 'wow, she was a big baby'....she can't be both big AND tiny at the same time, lol..she was 8lbs 1oz at birth..

I get this, too. I also get the 'oh he's so big now.' Started getting that at a week old... I was like 'as compared to when?' Ridiculous
  • imagekerbear135:
    What I find amusing is that we get both 'oh she's so tiny' and 'wow, she was a big baby'....she can't be both big AND tiny at the same time, lol..she was 8lbs 1oz at birth..

I get this, too. I also get the 'oh he's so big now.' Started getting that at a week old... I was like 'as compared to when?' Ridiculous
  • I had a big first baby she always has been larger than normal although proportional.  My biggest pet peeve was people assuming she could do things that there's no way she was old enough for just cause she was the size of an older child.And implying she's behind cause she can't complete tasks.

She has a cousin 6 months older who she has been bigger than since like 9 months. It's hard for our family not to compare them. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageambrlynn8:
    imagekerbear135:

Lol, same here. Just today I got the comment, "I can't believe how little she is!" as well as, "Oh, she's so much bigger than I thought she was," I have to admit, as embarrassing as it is, I met a lady yesterday with a baby about the same age as mine, and I asked her what his name was. It was a girl. Uggghhhh.... foot in mouth. foot. in. mouth. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Right after birth I heard the doctor and various nurses commenting wow she is big. She was 8 lbs and 9 oz at birth 21 long. Random comments about her being big actually helped me not freak out so much about my tear. I have a lot of respect for those mamas pushing out even bigger babies. I take her size as a compliment that she was well taken care of in my uterus :

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• After posting this yesterday I went to a family Christmas and all my relatives told me how tiny she was. I was like - thank goodness! ha
  • I would much prefer people to comment on my baby being big rather than what I'm going through! DS was only 4 lbs and 14 oz at birth, due to IUGR, and I constantly hear "oh, he's so LITTLE.". One person even asked me if I ate during my pregnancy, like it was my fault he was born on the smaller side! I agree with PPs that it's definitely the equal to commenting on belly size during pregnancy. 

As long as baby is healthy, what does it matter what they think? :] 

Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"