Pregnant after a Loss

Caffeine did a number on me!

I used to drink 2-3 cups of hot tea a day, most of it Earl Grey or jasmine green tea.  I'd also occasionally have a glass of iced tea with a meal.  I cut out 99% of my caffeine intake before getting pregnant.  Tonight, I had a glass of unsweetened iced tea with dinner at around 8 pm. It is now 1 am, and I'm still wide awake. 

Never again. I can't believe it made me this amped up. I don't know whether this means I should just avoid all caffeine after 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon from now on, or ease back into drinking it so I don't end up such a lightweight. 

Re: Caffeine did a number on me!

• I'm wide awake most nights anyway ... And I only have some caffeine every other day or so. Baby has made me drink Coke. Ha.

Sorry it kept you up! It's a funny "drug" for sure.

photo AlbumsWideColorBump_zps1797df63.jpg

We lost our first (EDD 07/23/12) after finding out at 12 weeks there was no longer a heartbeat. Our rainbow was born 05/22/13 and was worth all we went through.

“So can you understand? Why I want a daughter while I’m still young? I wanna hold her hand and show her some beauty before all this damage is done. But if it’s too much to ask, it’s too much to ask … Then send me a son.” – Arcade Fire
  • I used to drink a cup or two of coffee a day, I also cut out the caffeine before getting pg. Now if I have one cup I'm all jittery and uncomfortable. I completely understand, caffeine is weird.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKacyChicago:

I'm wide awake most nights anyway ... And I only have some caffeine every other day or so. Baby has made me drink Coke. Ha.

Sorry you're awake so much. I am too. I can't get comfortable, and I'm starting to get hip pain. 

• imageamidkiff:
    I used to drink a cup or two of coffee a day, I also cut out the caffeine before getting pg. Now if I have one cup I'm all jittery and uncomfortable. I completely understand, caffeine is weird.

It is weird, and I wonder how much of it is pregnancy-hormone-related. On any other day, even after quitting caffeine for a while, I would have been able to comfortably have one glass of it without any impact. 

• imagemkc5869:
    I had completely cut out caffeine until somewhere around 15 weeks. I started craving coffee so I started slow with half calf. Now I have a full caf coffee every morning. Every once in a while I will have a soda or tea in the afternoon but I learned very quickly I don't drink caffeine past 3 or I don't sleep that night! I would just avoid it in the evenings.

Yeah, I'm going to avoid it in the evenings too. I was only planning on having it maybe once or twice a week, but I'll have to make sure it's early in the day when I do. 

• imageGraceInCA:
    imageKacyChicago:

I'm wide awake most nights anyway ... And I only have some caffeine every other day or so. Baby has made me drink Coke. Ha.

Sorry you're awake so much. I am too. I can't get comfortable, and I'm starting to get hip pain. 

That's my problem too. I broke my left elbow nearly two decades ago, and haven't been able to sleep on that side since. So, it's my right side only. I've been sleeping sitting up, mostly, because my hip starts to ache, and I end up on my back which makes me paranoid. I'm also having really bad breast pains which wake me up, and then I have to go to the bathroom, warm up a washrag and then let it sit on whatever one is killing me at the moment. So then I'm up for an hour or two, watching Netflix, trying not to wake my partner. Lather, rinse, repeat ... But I don't mind it, it's all getting me ready for May/June. 

photo AlbumsWideColorBump_zps1797df63.jpg

We lost our first (EDD 07/23/12) after finding out at 12 weeks there was no longer a heartbeat. Our rainbow was born 05/22/13 and was worth all we went through.

“So can you understand? Why I want a daughter while I’m still young? I wanna hold her hand and show her some beauty before all this damage is done. But if it’s too much to ask, it’s too much to ask … Then send me a son.” – Arcade Fire
  • imageKacyChicago:
    So then I'm up for an hour or two, watching Netflix, trying not to wake my partner. Lather, rinse, repeat 

You just described my life.  Wake up.  Lie awake for a while.  Watch Netflix with earphones.  Drift off.  Wake up.  Ad infinitum. 

Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageKacyChicago:

That's my problem too. I broke my left elbow nearly two decades ago, and haven't been able to sleep on that side since. So, it's my right side only. I've been sleeping sitting up, mostly, because my hip starts to ache, and I end up on my back which makes me paranoid. I'm also having really bad breast pains which wake me up, and then I have to go to the bathroom, warm up a washrag and then let it sit on whatever one is killing me at the moment. So then I'm up for an hour or two, watching Netflix, trying not to wake my partner. Lather, rinse, repeat ... But I don't mind it, it's all getting me ready for May/June. 

My nightly routine involves me waking up by 3 am, always in some degree of pain. I go to the bathroom, take a swig of water, and then try various things to relax and relieve pain. My husband may or may not wake up. When he wakes up, I feel guilty. When he doesn't wake up and realizes in the morning that I've been up, he feels guilty. Often the exhaustion will take over and I'll fall back asleep around 6 am, but within a half hour, my son and husband are usually up, so the noise ends up being disruptive and my sleep during those morning hours is not quality sleep.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"