Babies: 0 - 3 Months

mother in law...

Hi all,

Anyone else have ISSUES with their mother in law?  I dont even really speak to mine, but I always hear from other family members that she doesnt like me. Yesterday I heard she was mad that I didnt make a bigger deal out of the (incredibly lame) shower gift she gave us. She gave us a book and a stuffed animal and then called and talked about how "special" her gift was. (I got more thoughtful gifts from people I barely know at work).

Anyway.. just thought it would be helpful to vent- anyone else have a mother in law that they thank god every day lives 7 hours away?  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: mother in law...

• I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us would be glad if our MIL moved a little further away. What was the book?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine lives across the country, and every day I'm thankful for that. She has a 3 year old daughter.. DH is 25... and now the attention isn't on them anymore. She's immature enough to be upset by this.
    050 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes.... Mine was over on Christmas and was telling SIL's son not toxrawlon my floor...it's covered in dust...grrrr.
  • Thanks a lot. Anytime I just hear or see the words mother in law I get so angry. My mil has always been annoying but she became a witch after DD was born. A little over a week after Dd was born I asked mil to tell her family to slow down on the visiting. I was having a tough time with recovery. Well she just turned psycho and said that if I don't want DH family over then I don't want him. We must argue all the time and I probably want other men.the best thing is for us to get divorced and that she and the family will send money for Dd. My blood still boils when I think about. Now she acts as if nothing has happened. She tries to buy me gifts and is eager to please me but she has never apologized not that it would help much. She totally ruined what was supposed to be the happiest time in my life.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejerseyleo:
    Thanks a lot. Anytime I just hear or see the words mother in law I get so angry. My mil has always been annoying but she became a witch after DD was born. A little over a week after Dd was born I asked mil to tell her family to slow down on the visiting. I was having a tough time with recovery. Well she just turned psycho and said that if I don't want DH family over then I don't want him. We must argue all the time and I probably want other men.the best thing is for us to get divorced and that she and the family will send money for Dd. My blood still boils when I think about. Now she acts as if nothing has happened. She tries to buy me gifts and is eager to please me but she has never apologized not that it would help much. She totally ruined what was supposed to be the happiest time in my life.

That is terrible! I am so sorry she is nuts.

MIL is a bit of a pain but nit god awful....she is very immature and full of empty promises. She said the other day she would babysit our three year old for me, gave her about a weeks notice. Because we had to take littlest one for an echocardiogram and didn't know how long it would be or what it would be like. Well she texts husband that night and says she decided she was going to go to work with her husband and hang out instead. She is so far up his ass it drives me bananas. (I think she is just scared if he's alone to long he will cheat in her, as that is a recourring theme) but anywho I was basically screwed. She also does nothing but bad mouth DH's father (messy divorce because she cheated in him) and constantly swears he still eyeballs her (like he secretly loves her still). I absolutely love my FIL and occasionally want to punch MIL!!!! 

• Yup. And mine isn't speaking to me currently; won't acknowledge my existence when I'm around. Of course, this is after a huge long stupid drawn out fight of which I have done nothing wrong; it's completely been her selfishness and desire to be overly involved in our lives so DH won't call her on it because "she is hurt too." Cause we won't stay with them with LO being so small. Their house is dirty, has too many animals, and I'm not the only person that gets sick when they visit the house. well, I'm not the one acting like a child, she is. But whatever.

Point is, yes I have issues too. Pretty sure 9 out of 10 of us do. I also think that our 8 and a half hours away isn't enough of a distance. Somewhere out of orbit would be nice.
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • My MIL lives in the same town, a 10 minute drive.  Right now she's butt-hurt with me.  In September DH and I decided it was very important to us that we and our parents get the TDAP and flu vaccines before LO gets here.  DH and I also decided that we didn't want anyone who wasn't vaccinated to be around LO very much when she's brand new.  MIL has not gotten her TDAP yet.

I may be induced Monday (depending on BP).  I found this out Friday at about 1pm.  I called MIL around 2 and told her it'd be a good idea for her to get her shot this weekend just in case.  She flat out told me that she doesn't have to "bend over backwards for me" and that I have "ridiculous expectations of people and should give them more notice before creating stupid rules".  Also, "there's nothing (I) can do to keep (her) away from the hospital when (I) deliver".

WOMAN!  YOUR SON AND I DECIDED THIS IN SEPTEMBER.  YOUR HUSBAND SCHEDULED HIS SHOT IMMEDIATELY AND MY PARENTS WAITED JUST A WEEK.  EVEN IF YOU THINK IT'S STUPID AND OVER-PROTECTIVE IT'S HOW IT'S GOING TO BE!

DH is seeing how crazy is mom is being and he's dealing with all of it on his own (so I don't stress out).  The conversations between me and her only happen when I call her.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • imagejerseyleo:
    Thanks a lot. Anytime I just hear or see the words mother in law I get so angry. My mil has always been annoying but she became a witch after DD was born. A little over a week after Dd was born I asked mil to tell her family to slow down on the visiting. I was having a tough time with recovery. Well she just turned psycho and said that if I don't want DH family over then I don't want him. We must argue all the time and I probably want other men.the best thing is for us to get divorced and that she and the family will send money for Dd. My blood still boils when I think about. Now she acts as if nothing has happened. She tries to buy me gifts and is eager to please me but she has never apologized not that it would help much. She totally ruined what was supposed to be the happiest time in my life.

Oh you win!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh the MIL advice. Yes, I know he needs a hat, it's 40 degrees outside, do you think I'm an idiot? And the pacifier...get off my back about the pacifier, he doesn't love it like DH did, and no, I'm not doing it wrong.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• imagegraciesmurf:

My MIL lives in the same town, a 10 minute drive.  Right now she's butt-hurt with me.  In September DH and I decided it was very important to us that we and our parents get the TDAP and flu vaccines before LO gets here.  DH and I also decided that we didn't want anyone who wasn't vaccinated to be around LO very much when she's brand new.  MIL has not gotten her TDAP yet.

I may be induced Monday (depending on BP).  I found this out Friday at about 1pm.  I called MIL around 2 and told her it'd be a good idea for her to get her shot this weekend just in case.  She flat out told me that she doesn't have to "bend over backwards for me" and that I have "ridiculous expectations of people and should give them more notice before creating stupid rules".  Also, "there's nothing (I) can do to keep (her) away from the hospital when (I) deliver".

WOMAN!  YOUR SON AND I DECIDED THIS IN SEPTEMBER.  YOUR HUSBAND SCHEDULED HIS SHOT IMMEDIATELY AND MY PARENTS WAITED JUST A WEEK.  EVEN IF YOU THINK IT'S STUPID AND OVER-PROTECTIVE IT'S HOW IT'S GOING TO BE!

DH is seeing how crazy is mom is being and he's dealing with all of it on his own (so I don't stress out).  The conversations between me and her only happen when I call her.

Sorry - you seem like the crazy one here!  Are you just not going to bring your child out into the world until Spring?  Every single one of your friends are going to get the shot JUST FOR YOU?  lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelillypots:
    imagegraciesmurf:

My MIL lives in the same town, a 10 minute drive.&nbsp; Right now she's butt-hurt with me.&nbsp; In September DH and I decided it was very important to us that we and our parents get the TDAP and flu&nbsp;vaccines before LO gets here.&nbsp; DH and I also decided that we didn't want anyone who wasn't vaccinated to be around LO very much when she's brand new.&nbsp; MIL has not gotten her TDAP yet.

I may be induced Monday (depending on BP).&nbsp; I found this out Friday at about&nbsp;1pm.&nbsp; I called MIL around 2 and told her it'd be a good idea for her to get her shot this weekend just in case.&nbsp; She flat out told me that she doesn't have to "bend over backwards for me" and that I have "ridiculous expectations of people and should give them more notice before creating stupid rules".&nbsp; Also, "there's nothing (I) can do to keep (her) away from the hospital when (I) deliver".

WOMAN!&nbsp; YOUR SON AND I DECIDED THIS IN SEPTEMBER.&nbsp; YOUR HUSBAND SCHEDULED HIS SHOT IMMEDIATELY AND MY PARENTS WAITED JUST A WEEK.&nbsp; EVEN IF YOU THINK IT'S STUPID AND OVER-PROTECTIVE IT'S HOW IT'S GOING TO BE!

DH is seeing how crazy is mom is being and he's dealing with all of it on his own (so I don't stress out).&nbsp; The conversations between me and her only happen when I call her.

Sorry - you seem like the crazy one here! &nbsp;Are you just not going to bring your child out into the world until Spring? &nbsp;Every single one of your friends are going to get the shot JUST FOR YOU? &nbsp;lol.

I agree somewhat on this, seems excessive to have everyone you know.get a shot. Yet, if someone will be seeing LO frequently then yes they should get the shot. As for there is nothing you can do to prevent your MIL from being there when you deliver, you can. Simply let the staff know you want limited visitors. Make up your own visitation time and quantity restrictions. Most maternity wards respect mothers' wishes, and prefer them to keep mothers calm and happy.
  • imagelillypots:
    imagegraciesmurf:

My MIL lives in the same town, a 10 minute drive.  Right now she's butt-hurt with me.  In September DH and I decided it was very important to us that we and our parents get the TDAP and flu vaccines before LO gets here.  DH and I also decided that we didn't want anyone who wasn't vaccinated to be around LO very much when she's brand new.  MIL has not gotten her TDAP yet.

Sorry - you seem like the crazy one here!  Are you just not going to bring your child out into the world until Spring?  Every single one of your friends are going to get the shot JUST FOR YOU?  lol.

She didn't say that. I would assume the grandparents are going to see the baby more than her friends, and I understand her wanting them to get a shot. And, since it's her LO, she can dictate whatever she wants if people want to see him/her. You don't have to let someone see your LO if you don't want to. Personally, I wear DD in a carrier when we go out and only let people I know, who aren't sick, and wash their hands first, hold LO. I don't have the shot restriction, but to each their own. I did, however, make my nieces & nephews wait to meet DD because my cousin believes in no vaccinations and her children are therefore not vaccinated (her personal decision.)

Lilypots, your MIL is BSC. She thinks she can just barge into your room at the hospital? She's freaking hilarious. She's had three months to get the shot. Unless she had a legit reason not to get it, she should have for her grandchild's sake. I would have your DH talk to her. Don't deal with that crazy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"