Cloth Diapering

When did you start using an "overnight" diaper?

LO will be 4 weeks old tomorrow, and we're trying to figure out how to get her to sleep better (and in longer stretches at night).  We're having some success with other things, but I'm also wondering if diaper changes are unnecessarily waking her up (and causing us to be awake for longer than we need to be).  

At what age did you start letting your LO go all night without a diaper change?  I've let her go up to 4 or 5 hours, but at that point it seems like she might be screaming because she doesn't like to have a wet diaper.  We haven't had any leaks overnight, but she's always soaked when we change her after 4 or 5 hours.

She either sleeps in a newborn prefold + a hemp doubler, or a SBish or kissaluvs fitted + a hemp doubler.  We've also tried fleece liners a few times, but they don't seem to make any difference to me.  We're getting close to switching to size small prefolds, probably in the next week or two.

Do we wait until she fits into her pocket diapers before letting her go all night without a change (that way we could stuff them a little more)?  I also have a kissaluvs wool lover cover that I could use, but I haven't lanolized it yet...

I'm just not sure if we should keep changing her and waking her up, or attempt to let her go and see what happens... TIA for any advice/suggestions!!

Re: When did you start using an "overnight" diaper?

• We switched when she stopped pooping at night...probably around a month old. We use a bg 4.0 stuffed with both inserts. She lasts from 6:30pm until she gets up this way. I sometimes change her around 5:00 am if she is coming to bed with us for the last little stretch.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • I waited until 8 weeks, I figured other babies are sleeping through the night, even though mine wasn't.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had some disposable diapers that were given to me so we used those at night for the first few weeks.  I stopped changing DD at night when she no longer pooped at night like PPs said.  By the time I ran out of disposables, DD fit into the couple pocket diapers I have so I use those.  During the day she wears prefolds.

rainbowsSiggy picimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If she hadn't pooped, and didn't wake up, I've never woken her up to change her.

And we use bamboo fitteds at night (typically). We started at about 8 weeks. I was too nervous to start earlier, which I wish I had started earlier. :) It's not that scary haha

image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I never woke my LO up to change them.  I stopped changing them when they woke up after they stopped pooing ON.  My ON diapers changed based on my absorbency needs.  I started using a stay dry layer when they slept more.

We started using fitteds early because we had them.  They are really the best solution for ON in the long run.  It's worth buying them now to get the most bang for your buck. 

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"