Baby Showers

Is this to early?

I have some wonderful friends who have offered to throw my shower as thi is my first child and they couldn't be more excited to do it. So far I have been included in the date, time, and location. I am due in late May and want to have the shower on March 2nd. My friends think this is a fine idea but when I told my Mil and SIL they pretty much told me it was stupid to have it so early. Is it? Or is it a perfect time? I am a compulsive shopper so I figured the sooner the shower the less I would have time to buy. And I get extreme anxiety when things are not in order and I thougt that this would give me 2 months to wash, organize, put away, and buy whatever else is needed. Thoughts please?

Re: Is this to early?

• You'll be, what, 27 or 28 weeks by then? I think it's fine if that's when your hosts want to have it.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Yes I'll be almost 30 weeks give or take. My hostess is fine with it. I just have a very judgemental MIL and it drives me crazy.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejstring88:
    Yes I'll be almost 30 weeks give or take. My hostess is fine with it. I just have a very judgemental MIL and it drives me crazy.

Does your MIL have a reason why she thinks that having it then would be an issue?

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Her exact words were " why are you having it so early? You aren't supposed to have a shower until right before your due." Then SIL chimed in with " yea, I didnt have mine until 2 1/2 weeks before DS was born." So no real reason that is just how she is.
  • "Well that's great that you had yours that close to your due date.  My hostess would like to have mine on X date and I'm ok with whatever she decides.  If the date is a problem for you, I'm sorry you won't be able to attend."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imagejstring88:
    Her exact words were " why are you having it so early? You aren't supposed to have a shower until right before your due." Then SIL chimed in with " yea, I didnt have mine until 2 1/2 weeks before DS was born." So no real reason that is just how she is.

Just tell her it's the date that works best for your hosts and leave it at that then. They are the ones throwing it, so if that's what's best for them, then your MIL should just deal with it.

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Seeing as on good days I actually do like my in laws I just kept my mouth shut. But my hormones got the best of me when I got home and told DH. So I told him that I will no longer be discussing anything about my pregnancy with my MIL or SIL and that they would get their invites in the mail and If they could make great, if not oh well. Thanks for the advice ladies.
  • i think the date is fine! 
    trying for #1 since May 2012... we're adopting! bringing home baby boy in january 2015!

photo tacos.gif
    Texas forever. 
  • I think that is fine. But trust me, you do not need 2 months to wash and organize baby crap. 
  • Usually it is at the convenience of the hostess. But my hostess asked me when I wanted it and I had mine a couple months before DD was due. It was lucky that we did it "early" because I slipped and fell and went into labor almost a month early. 

I would say that 2 months is a good idea. Even if baby comes early you still have plenty of time to get things organized. If your hostess is okay with that date then don't worry what everyone else says. Especially family, they will come no matter when it is. GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAdamEve2:
    Usually it is at the convenience of the hostess. But my hostess asked me when I wanted it and I had mine a couple months before DD was due. It was lucky that we did it "early" because I slipped and fell and went into labor almost a month early.nbsp;I would say that 2 months is a good idea. Even if baby comes early you still have plenty of time to get things organized. If your hostess is okay with that date then don't worry what everyone else says. Especially family, they will come no matter when it is. GL!nbsp;

I was kinda thinking the same thing. You never know what may happen. But my hostess asked me when I wanted it so she is good with the date I chose. It just upset me that my family acted the way they did. I guess being easily upset comes with being pregnant. Thanks again ladies.
  • Maybe I can't count...but if you are due in late May and your shower is March 2nd...that is like 3 months before your due date.  Personally I think that is a bit early.  If you lived on the other side of the country or you were leaving because of deployment or something like that then I can see it...but if there is nothing "unusual" going on I agree with your MIL that it is kind of early.  I don't agree with your SIL to wait until 2 1/2 weeks before your due date - that is pretty scary.

BTW...it takes about 3-4 days to get everything washed up, sorted out and buy what's still needed.

• I think and I may be wrong and sorry for being morbid but my.mom always said wait till you're in your ninth month you knw just in case...maybe that's what they're thinking?
  • imagerhubarb123:
    Maybe I can't count...but if you are due in late May and your shower is March 2nd...that is like 3 months before your due date.nbsp; Personally I think that is a bit early.nbsp; If you lived on the other side of the country or you were leaving because of deployment or something like that then I can see it...but if there is nothing "unusual" going on I agree with your MIL that it is kind of early.nbsp; I don't agree with your SIL to wait until 2 1/2 weeks before your due date that is pretty scary.
    BTW...it takes about 34 days to get everything washed up, sorted out and buy what's still needed.

Yes technically it is almost 3 months from the shower to my due date but to be on the safe side I would think the shower should be before the 1st of May since anything could happen. So the shower will be 2 months before I am considered "full term."
  • It is pretty early, so I can see why your MIL was surprised. I think it is fine to have it then if that is what you and your hostesses really want to. I had mine around then for a few reasons husband was deployed, it was 500 miles away so it is not unheard of to do it really early. However, it was weird to sit in a house full of baby stuff for months with no baby. If things had been different, I would have preferred to wait. It takes like 1 day to wash and set up anything you get.
  • imageBallSox:
    "Well that's great that you had yours that close to your due date.  My hostess would like to have mine on X date and I'm ok with whatever she decides.  If the date is a problem for you, I'm sorry you won't be able to attend."

This! 

pregnancy calendar
  • imagejstring88:
    Yes I'll be almost 30 weeks give or take. My hostess is fine with it. I just have a very judgemental MIL and it drives me crazy.

Well, she's not the one that's pregnant now is she? Also, if she's not throwing it...WTH does she care? 

• Who cares if it's a couple months before your due date? It's YOUR baby shower, not theirs. If they want to throw you one, then they can chose a date of their liking. Otherwise, you and your friends have arranged this date.. End of story.

Also, I am newly pregnant and I wouldn't want my shower thrown a mere 2-3 weeks before I'm due. Don't let them rain on your parade!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"