Multiples

Dieting and EBF with twins?

Has anyone tried dieting in the first few months with twins?  Can you do so without effecting milk supply?  I'm 5 weeks out and getting impatient with my new squishy tummy.  I want to start actively losing it, but don't want to starve the little ladies.

Re: Dieting and EBF with twins?

• What is your normal diet like? Multiples aside, you need a good calorie intake while pumping/BF'ing. If you're going to cut back on certain things, it's best to cut back on things like added sugars, juices (more fructose than a piece of whole fruit, with none of the health benefits, in almost all cases), wheat and rice, and other empty and/or heavy carbohydrates. By swapping your junk carbs over to productive carbs like veg, root, and cheese, you're getting more nutrition with less junk. But it does, typically, mean you need to increase your calorie intake with proteins and good fats like lentils, meats, avocados, etc. Just don't fall victim to misinterpreting the sugar withdrawals as "fatigue" or "hunger" - lowering your sugar intake is really uncomfortable for approximately the first two weeks - but it's better for all of you in the long run. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• I know it's hard but 5 weeks is really really early. Your uterus is probably not even back to it's original size!I gained 50lbs while pregnant and it took me something like 6 months to loose it all while nursing.But I didn't do any kind of dieting at all. And I'm actually now 5-10 lb below my Pp weight while still nursing at 16 months.Nursing two babies takes a ton of calories, I ate all the time, and limiting that is risky to your supply and to your health.and sadly the truth is that I still have somewhat of a smushy tummy, just from the skin that stretched. It can be hard to get used to, Ive always been thin, but I try to look at it as part of the aging gracefully process and the gift of my kidsHang in there!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would not recommend dieting when you are EBFing twins.  Supposedly you burn an extra 1000 calories a day while BFing twins which is diet enough.  Your body needs fat and calories to produce milk for them so limiting might effect your milk supply.  You can make sure you are getting good quality calories from nutriuous foods but I would not count calories.  5 weeks is really not that much time and you will definetly continue to see weight loss after that.  I could hardly eat enough when I was BF and I continued losing weight.  It took about 2-3 months to go back to pre-pregnancy weight for me.  After your 6 week PP check you should be cleared for exercise which might continue to help with the belly weight.
  • I know it sucks, but I've embraced my "twin skin" and squishy tummy. Is there a name for triplet skin? Lol. I personally feel that "dieting to lose weight" is a bad idea 5 weeks PP. Dieting to make sure your diet is healthy and well balanced is a great idea no matter when you start! Remember food is fuel. And your fueling two little babes at oncekeep it coming. Just make your choices as healthy as possible and trust your bodyit knows what it's doing. Right now your body is not only important to youit's a life line for your children. Best wishes! And keep eating
    4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would be very careful doing anything that restricts your diet while BFing twins. I often find my blood sugar drops and I get sick if I don't eat enough during the day, the demands of making milk for two are a lot on your body!!

5 weeks out is very early, I would not worry about dieting right now. I have not dieted at all, in fact I eat like a pig, and at 8 months, I am below my pre-pregnancy weight. It will come off, just give it time.

As for the twin skin, squishiness, I got nothing. I've embraced my twin skin and stretch marks as battle scars, and will be donating all bikinis to good will, hahaha.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"