Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Eating out?

What did u do to survive eating out w ur 14 month old? Do I force her to sit in high chair even when she throws a fit? I pack special toys and even treats blueberries that get us through many meals but what suggestions do u gave for training her right;
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Eating out?

• Ds loves eating at restaurants. He eats from our plates, and I just pack a few toys. If he does get antsy, we do a lap around the restaurant. A change of scenery helps a lot.
  • Toys, take a walk, we talk to her, point stuff out. We also let her sit in the booth by us until it's time to eat.

I guess I don't try too hard to "train." We just set a good example and keep enforcing the rules. As long as she's not screaming, throwing food or generally being annoying to others I don't press what she does.

Sidenote: We also don't get out much so when we do she's usually great as she's fascinated. :)

• Loading the player...
  • DS doesn't usually have problems, but we've eaten out once or twice a week since he was born.

The times he's had issues were when we went late and he was waaaay too hungry and tired to really be expected to behave well anyway. When you go out, are you going at her normal eating time, or are you going later?

We almost always go early (5:30ish) so that we avoid having to wait for a table. The less time we spend waiting, the better.

Does your daughter eat in a high chair at home? Does she have issues at home? If she doesn't sit in a high chair at home, maybe start working on that at home if that's what you want her to do in public. If she doesn't have issues at home, maybe the problem is something else (like eating too late, too many distractions, etc.)

• imageLalaMama81:

You can't expect her to do anything out that she won't do at home. So, if she is only in the high chair for 10 min at home, you can't expect much more out. 

Little, quiet toys, coloring, a few fun and/or healthy foods you know she'll eat, etc.

I would 2nd the suggestion of waiting to put her in the high chair until it's time to eat.

And you cannot go later than your normal dinner time. We went out to eat a few weeks ago and we had reservations at 4:15. We had our food by 5, which was perfect since that's what time we eat at home. If we had waited to go until 5:30, with dinner closer to 6, it would have been a disaster.

The timing and their current state (starving, not hungry, tired, cranky) is crucial - don't set yourselves up for disaster.

Breakfast is always easier than dinner.  

All of this is awesome advice. DD does great eating out and I typically encourage her to stay in her seat until we're ready to leave. She will sit happily next to me until her food arrives or I will give her popsnax or fresh fruit to munch on in her chair while we wait. I also bring special toys for her and she has just really become interested in coloring. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • He can't be tired and he has to be hungry. I also agree with pp- they cant be expected to do something out that we dont expect at home- we had a problem with food throwing. We worked on it at home so now it's not a problem out. I also bring snacks. 

I am going to try the take a walk suggestion. That sounds like a good one, thanks!   

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• The little walks help. I did that today when my son threw a fit. If I am really desperate I might try giving him a little sweet treat. Not for everyone, but when we are eating out with family sometimes it is the best option for us. He also likes spoons, napkins, bread, etc.
    Carrie An infertility veteran, survivor and champion. However, have a beautiful son and another one on the way!
  • Oh gosh wait until 2!!!  It gets worse :).  We always plan to go somewhere without a wait.  We usually walk LO around to explore and see fun things in a restaraunt.  We move to the high chair to look over menus, order, and eat.  All other time is spent with one of us walking LO around.  If we go with other people, toys and books can be amusing.  It's just a phase....I heard it lasts through 3:)
    imageimage
  • Ditto everyone else.  Obviously aim for kid-friendly restaurants and the earlier the better.  Dinner is normally at 6 for us so we aim to be at the restaurant by 5:15 so ideally our entrees arrive close to 6.  That way we're done eating and paid by 6:30/6:45 and home around the time we usually start bedtime routines.  Also, try to go out to eat soon after a nap when they're recharged.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My guy is great during dinner itself. He eats the same things we do, so he spends the time eating, and he tends to eat more slowly than we do. Before and after dinner we try to let him walk around, with us or carrying him, depending on the layout of the restaurant.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I may be in the minority here, but we don't let DD walk around restaurants when she gets antsy. Just like I don't let her get out of the shopping cart at the store...I want her to know what is expected of her, and not to expect that running around is a part of mealtimes. It's not at home, after all. If she knows she gets to run around, she won't want to sit still for long. We have friends who don't even get to eat together most of the time because one of them is always chasing the toddler around the restaurant, and that's a pattern I'd rather not get into.
    That said, many of the PP have good suggestions. Crayons and paper are good for entertainment, playing with menus, little toys, and special snacks work for us. I also don't put her into the high chair until her food arrives. She sits in our laps until then. We eat out a lot and have never had issues.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"