High-Risk Pregnancy

Rhogam Shot Not Working

Hi All:

I am B- and had a rhogam shot in October after I had a miscarriage. Much to our happy surprise, hubby and I found out we were exepcting again and I am now 7 weeks along. My blood work came back showing that I developed antibodies. My doctor said we'll have to monitor the blood tests to see if this becomes a problem. Has anyone else experienced this when this has turned into an issue? My doctor says the baby could need blood transfusions and I would be a high risk pregnancy. I am trying not to freak out but she didn't give a lot of information and any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Re: Rhogam Shot Not Working

• I don't have any experience, but I pray everything works out and is ok.  It sounds like they are being proactive and you will be monitored closely.  Good luck.
  • I'm O-.  I've never had any problems.  Just follow doc's advice.  I've carried antibodies since I had my first 9 years ago...
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you just had the Rhogam in October, you probably still just have antibodies in your blood *from the Rhogam* and aren't producing them yourself, at all (the antigens in Rhogam are injected to prevent your body from producing their own antigens and attacking the baby) - the antigens tend to stick around for about 12w - that's why you're supposed to get the first dose at 28w in case of unexpected bleeding complications, and then again when you deliver at or around 40w if your baby was Rh+ so that the exposure during birth doesn't cause you to produce antigens after the first shot has worn off. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• The shot is not a permanite thing. I have to get twice during pregnancy once at 28 weeks and then after delivery. My doctor said it lasts long enough to get you through. 
  • I had antibodies in my bloodstream with my first pregnancy (from previous transfusions), and I know it can be scary, just be aware that this is very common and even though it is scary, now that they can monitor so well the outcome is great.

There may be a hospital stay, but they will be very aware of your LO status before they are born (I was going in for two scans a week from about 20 weeks).

Many times with your first there will not be intrauterine transfusions (my LO needed transfusions only after he was born), and if you are lucky none after, they will moniter your titer levels and only if they get high enough will they need to do anything at all.

Hopefully it is just the roghan shot wearing off, but if not, there is a link in my siggy for a great Message board dedicated to Antibody Sensitisation that is worth a look.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"