This isn't completely adoption/fostering related, but I need opinions and I trust you ladies, so here it goes.
I'm looking to make the next step in my career. My current job is fine, but I am hoping for some more challenging work, flexible schedule, and work for a company I am passionate about (this is my stretch goal).
An amazing position opened up in one of my favorite local companies! It would be a great step professionally (more responsibility, challenging projects, etc.) and has an amazing schedule (no more than 40 hours a week with 3 months of part-time hours which is SUPER unexpected in the accounting field). Sounds perfect! I had a initial phone interview that went great until I find out they were hoping to pay HALF of my current salary. Both the CEO and I were disappointed because it seemed like a "perfect match" (her words) up until that point. I told her that this really was my dream job and that I could consider things if they could bring the salary up to where I'd be taking a $20k salary cut. She wants me to come in for an in-person interview in January, and will know more about what wiggle room they will have for the salary then.
DH and I have been doing some major number crunching to figure out how much a $20k cut would "hurt". It would put us on a pretty strict budget, but would still definitely be do-able. Our current lifestyle is pretty spendy on stupid things (eating out, Target trips, random splurges) that are not high dollar but add up to significant budget items. So basically all of this would be cut out and we'd have to deliberately save for vacations and gifts, which we'd just wing previously. If I even get the offer, we know we'll need to evaluate the entire "package"- benefits, 401k, and future raises to see how quickly I could expect to get back to my current salary.
Here's the kid-related part. I want more flexible schedule since I really missed having one this year when I needed to attend so many foster related meetings and because I just wanted to spend more time with the boys. But we are currently undecided on if/when/how we are going to have kids in our life. We were planning on taking 2-3 months off of trying to decide to give us some time to re-acclimate after our foster sons were reunified with their family. It is most probable that we will have kids in our lives in some form (bio or fostering), but both avenues are definitely still on the table. While this job would be a great for fostering (able to attend meetings, have lots of quality time during part-time months), I feel like the pay cut would really "hurt" if we would need to pay for daycare for a bio kid. FYI- daycare is covered approx 90% for foster kids. But then I feel like that financial "hurt" could be offset with the added flexibility which would translate into more time with the kid. Ugh!
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to decide on this job (if I even get an offer) when our future is so unknown right now? Or can someone tell me that living on a tight budget isn't so bad if you can see your kid more? Do you think I'm crazy for considering a $20k paycut?
Any advice/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated since my head is just spinning right now.