November 2011 Moms
Options

Baby needs tubes

DS is being treated for his 8th ear infection within a 1-year time frame. So DS will be getting tubes put in on January 17th. I'm sad that needs to have (minor) surgery, but I know that he will feel better in the long run.

Any other babies out there facing the same issue or have already had it done?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby needs tubes

• Options
    Poor bud!  Just wanted to say that I'm sorry you guys have to go this route but it will definitely lead to a healthier future for DS.  Remind us when he goes in and keep us posted.  T&Ps for a quick recovery. 
  • Options
    We thought about getting tubes last year for DS, but his ear infections stopped. Just wanted to say good luck and he will be much better after. Both my brother and I had them put in as kids and they helped so much. 
    E 03.10
    H 11.11
    C 08.13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is well on his way.to getting tubes. Dr said if he gets another ear infection in the next month or so that's where we'll be at. TP to your little man!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I'm a lurker but thought I would answer since we are well versed in this area!
    DS got tubes on November 8th.

He couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight. We took him at 7 am, procedure started at 8 am, and we were home by 10:00. He napped for about two hours and was back to his normal self by lunch! It really wasn't bad at all.

However, since having tubes placed, he has had two ear infections. My husband has 8 sets of tubes as a child though, so I think LO is following in his footsteps. The tubes have made the infections less painful as they allow the fluid to drain instead of build up.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!
  • Options
    Poor kiddo! Hope the tubes help out.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageAnnie0919:
    We took him at 7 am, procedure started at 8 am, and we were home by 10:00. He napped for about two hours and was back to his normal self by lunch! It really wasn't bad at all.

My nephew had tubes placed back in May (a week before his 1st birthday).  This was their exact same experience.  They were home within no time and when I saw him that afternoon, you would have never known he had gotten tubes a few hours earlier.  He hasn't had an ear infection since.

• Options
    DS got them at 6 months...best.thing.ever!!!!!!  He had 7 infections in that time and since then, not one.  He has been sick with other stuff, but his ears are perfect!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options

imageEstwd2:
    Aw, that sucks. Sorry for your little guy. Do you mind me asking more about your experience? DD just got over her 3rd ear infection (might have a 4th now) and the pedi I saw last time said after 6 ear infections, it's time to see an ENT. Was that your experience as well? Are there set recommendations for when they need tubes?

Our Pedi said that after the 3rd or 4th infection, they refer to an ENT. We already had a relationship with an ENT from when my DD had to go. The ENT's criteria for a child needing tubes is 8 infections within a year or if the fluid in the ear doesn't go away. He's had hearing tests all along and so far he's normal. Depending on how often the infections are for your DD, I would go to an ENT sooner rather than later.

• Options
    Thanks for all the well wishes and for sharing your experiences!
  • Options
    Aww, poor little guy.  I'm sorry you have to have your LO go through surgery.  It will be tough (more for you) but hopefully this will help his little ears get better.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I am so sorry to hear that your LO needs this but I know that now it is a minor procedure and will help you tremendously. I don't know much about it but I do know that I only had a few ear infections years after my tubes were put in and overall things were much better. Overall I think I had something like 10 ear infections before my first birthday. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"