Working Moms

I should be over the Moon....

But I'm not Sad... Year end is here and that means year end reviews and raises (yay!).  I've been working my butt off and my boss knows it (my supervisor hates me though).  SOOOO, long story short, I'm getting a "promotion" so I'm working more directly under my boss (but still have to somewhat answer to my supervisor).  This is coming with a HUGE raise, so I should be ecstatic.... BUT it's coming at the expense of having my flex schedule, which I REALLY LOVE. Right now I am home two days a week by 2:00 in the afternoon, it makes me feel better to be home with the kids for most of the day and I get more done.

I am being offered more PTO (not sure how many days though), because I explained part of the reasoning for the early days off is so I can make appointments for the kids etc. without having to use my PTO (I currently get 13 days), or rearranging my schedule and confusing people as to when I'm in/out of the office.  I can still leave one day a week at 2:30 (so I'll be home at 3:00) but I'm kind of bummed.  We need the money, so there is no turning this down, maybe when I see my first check in a few weeks I'll feel a little better.  Sorry for the whine, thanks for listening!  Any tips for working a "9-5" job are much appreciated!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
 Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)

Re: I should be over the Moon....

• Everything is temporary... the extra money will be helpful, and you'll still have a day when you're home for appointments, plus you'll get the extra PTO.

And maybe you renegotiate again next year, or maybe this is a resume builder that you can take somewhere else where you can get back to more of a part time schedule. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Aww, I can definitely understand your concerns. Hopefully you can renegotiate the schedule you have sometime in the future, maybe? In the mean time, congratulations on your promotion! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats on your promotion! I understand why you aren't happy but I'm sure you will get used to it or even better, renegotiate in the future.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I understand how you feel.  I hated my last job, was totally miserable.  BUT I LOVED my PT 4days/week schedule.  I finally switched jobs, much shorter commute, big pay raise (on top of getting 20% more salary).  I was really sad about losing the day at home with my kids.  But it is a Wonderful change!  I am hopeful that if I work a year or two, maybe I'll be able to negotiate a PT schedule in the future.

Good Luck and Congrats!

• I work the standard work hours, there's no options for flex time due to the nature of my job. Honestly, it's not so bad and you will get used to the new schedule. Plus it sounds like you'll still get to leave early one day, albeit not as early as you had been, which is a nice perk. And more whole days off!

Focus on the good parts and who knows, maybe in the future things will change and you'll get to go back to a more flexible schedule too.

Congratulations on the promotion! It's always nice when your hard work is noticed/appreciated. 

imageimage
  • It's OK to be bummed. It would be hard to give up that extra time with the kiddos. Hopefully you'll find a new routine and the transition will be fairly easy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies, I know there is a "silver lining" to it all, I will also be able to see the kids in the morning before I go to work since I will be starting later (I used to start at 7:30am).  I should mention I'm not big on "change", not so much the position, but changing my hours and routine (as well as the kids and DH's routines).  This will also change our childcare situation so I need to figure that out too.  I'm talking to my boss today to get "specifics" and then I can plan away from there.  Once I get everything in place I know I'll feel better.  It sucks to be a Virgo sometimes!
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Congrats on the promo and huge raise!  I'm glad you are focusing on the positive and who knows maybe after learning the specifics with your boss you will learn of other perks.  I understand your disappointment with the schedule and I hope mornings with the kids are just as fun.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ((hugs)) let's just hope the PTO time will cover your current schedule or at least come close.
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"