Working Moms
Options

Trying to find a job while pregnant...

In June 2012, both my fiance and I were laid off. We have been actively seeking employment, however, in September we found out that I was expecting. My unemployment now runs out in a week and I have several interviews coming up. How do I bring up that I am pregnant? Do I tell them before, during, after or not at all? I'm very concerned that no one will hire me because I will need a maternity leave in May. Any suggestions?

Re: Trying to find a job while pregnant...

• Options

If you are due in May,  are you  at the point where you are obviously pregnant?  If yes then the answer is quite simple-- you won't have to bring up your pregnancy because it will be obvious.  They will either hire you or not depending on weather you are a good fit for the job.

If you are not showing yet, you most likely will be soon.  This is where it can get tricky. 

The general rule is to not discuss your pregnancy until you are formally offered a job.  A lot of employers do not offer maternity coverage until you have worked for a year at said place.  They may offer partial coverage if you work less than a year (my company pays for 6 weeks of mat leave @ 100% salary if you have worked for more than a year; 6 weeks of mat leave @ 60% salary if you have worked less than a year) so just be aware that your leave might not be covered.

Good luck to you!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Thank you for the advice! I am not at the point where I am obviously pregnant yet, but I am told to expect my belly to "pop" any day now! This is an extremely stressful situation and I had no clue where to go with it. I had worked with my previous company for almost a decade, so I am new to this whole job market scenario.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for asking this.  I really want a new job, but was not sure how to handle it since I will be pregnant.  Good luck in the job search!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"