Babies: 9 - 12 Months

XP: HELP: diapering issues

I am now at war with my child ever diaper change. She will not stay put long enough to even get her pants off, let alone any other parts of the change. I am tired of the twisting, turning, thrashing and screaming. I am at my wits end and starting to lose my cool. I'm ready to use overnight diaper during the day and let her sit in her pee all day. Its a literally a two person job, though three people would be better. How is everyone else handling this? I tried slip-on diapers but I think I need to wait til she's standing on her own better because they were not any easier. I also have been reciting a book and singing to her but the novelty of that has warn off. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: XP: HELP: diapering issues

• We're having the same problem.  I dread diaper changes when my husband isn't home.  I hope someone has some helpful suggestions!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my DD2 is really twisty turny, and what I've found effective is to hold her still and to not attempt any part of the change until she's still.

As soon as she twists or struggles, I hold her and wait. I hold her at her hips.

I just keep repeating to her, "I have to change your nappy, but I can't do that while you're wriggling. I need you to be still." If she grumbles (which of course she does) I just say, "I know you're frustrated. The quicker you co-operate, the quicker we'll be done." I stay completely calm through the whole process.

It's been a bit of an exercise in patience, but she's getting much better at lying still.

I also always say, "all done." when she's free to move, and praise her for being still.

I also give her a break between nappy and re-clothing, where she can twist and move again. 

Basically I treat it as a behaviour she has to learn, and I'm going to have to teach her the appropriate way to behave over and over until she gets it. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • My DD was like this.  I had to basically hold her legs still by putting my thighs on her legs and straddling her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Its a phase most likely. I don't really care when DD2 does this, unless there is poop involved. She has twisted herself so that she has poop was all over her legs, on me, etc. Changing her in a public restroom is a nightmare, and I usually avoid it all costs. I will change her in the back of our minivan before I will change her in a public restroom. Both girls hate being on those changing tables. I don't blame them. They defy gravity and smell like other babies. I usually just hold DD2 by her legs and let her wriggle until she tires out, and then start again. This can go on for like five minutes. Sometimes there is crying. From both of us. Just try to get it done with the least amount of anxiety on both your parts. She might be picking up on your apprehension, and acting out. I know DDs get freaked out if they see me freak out (and it happens), so they are calmer when I am too. Sing to her, talk to her, giggle through the tears and frustration. We have all been there. Letting her sit in her pee will give her a rash, and if you haven't gone through that one yet, trust me, a bad rash will traumatize her for a while when it comes to changing time. Now that's a nightmare. GL. It won't last forever. I want to smack people when they tell me that, but it is true.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I keep a few toys by the changing table and hand her one before I change her. Sometimes I will hand her the diaper cream container which she LOVES. Then go fast!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagepinkshades05:
    I keep a few toys by the changing table and hand her one before I change her. Sometimes I will hand her the diaper cream container which she LOVES. Then go fast!

this. DS loves to hold the CJs Butter or his comb. it saves a lot of fighting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We play peek-a-boo a lot.  I put a dry cloth wipe on her head and she pulls it off and laughs.  Then tries to put it back on.  Or I'll give her a container full of cloth wipes to pull out and throw around. 

She loves playing with the sample CJ's butter container, Magic stick, or lotion bottle.

• I have learned to give my LO a "toy" that is normally off limits like the vaseline container or a remote control and I change him really, really fast! His dad still has a hard time changing him and almost always gets peed on! I think the LO,s start to act like this when they become mobile and they don't want to be still ever!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"