Northern California Babies

Question for CA moms (maternity leave)!

Okay, so this is my first child and first time going through this. I work for the State of CA, so I qualify for PFL, FMLA, and CFRA with SDI & EDD compensating. I get the whole nine yards, but there's one thing I'm lost on and need clarification on before making a decision as to when my last day at work will be. 

This is my understanding of how it will work.

I'm due on 3/13/13. If my last day at work is 36 wks exactly, I will begin the 7 day SDI waiting period (with no pay) on 2/13/13. I will begin earning SDI pay on 2/20/13 and will continue to earn that SDI pay until she's born, regardless if she's on time, early, or late. Is that correct?

That's my biggest question here. If I go out of work at exactly 36 weeks and she's, let's say 2 weeks late (hypothetically), will I be paid through SDI for that "extended" time? Will I be paid from 2/20 until she's born on 3/27 (if she's 2 weeks late)? My fear is that I will be cut off from SDI pay once they've paid for 3 or 4 full weeks (meaning 3/13 or 3/20).

Strangely enough, I work in HR and have asked my supervisor about this (who is supposed to know all this stuff) and she didn't even know that you could be written out at 36 wks. SERIOUSLY? So she was of no help. I've tried calling SDI and EDD to get clarification, but they're lines are ALWAYS sooooo busy that they say they can't take any more callers and it just says "Goodbye" and hangs up on you.  

Any info and/or experiences with this will be EXTREMELY helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Question for CA moms (maternity leave)!

• From my understanding and talking with our HR department, SDI waiting period starts the day your doctor says you're unable to work any longer.. There's no specific date or guideline. Most women don't want it to start at 36 weeks, because there's a limit to the total amount of time you can be out (I think 12 weeks?) and most people would rather spend as much of those 12 weeks with their baby as possible.

I'm due 2/16, and planning a tentative out date of 2/1, just for logistical reasons, but assuming I'm still feeling well, will keep working as long as possible 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageKarla CS:

From my understanding and talking with our HR department, SDI waiting period starts the day your doctor says you're unable to work any longer.. There's no specific date or guideline. Most women don't want it to start at 36 weeks, because there's a limit to the total amount of time you can be out (I think 12 weeks?) and most people would rather spend as much of those 12 weeks with their baby as possible.

I'm due 2/16, and planning a tentative out date of 2/1, just for logistical reasons, but assuming I'm still feeling well, will keep working as long as possible 

Thanks for the response.

I'm due 3/13, but am planning (at this point) to go out at 2/22, which is at 37 weeks & 2 days. I work for the State, so I won't run out of that time, but I was just wondering about the gap at the beginning. But if I go out at 37 weeks, I think I should be good...I shouldn't run into the issue I was worried about.

• Loading the player...
  • imageKarla CS:

From my understanding and talking with our HR department, SDI waiting period starts the day your doctor says you're unable to work any longer.. There's no specific date or guideline. Most women don't want it to start at 36 weeks, because there's a limit to the total amount of time you can be out (I think 12 weeks?) and most people would rather spend as much of those 12 weeks with their baby as possible.

• Your assumption is correct, I also work for the state and have since delivered my baby.  Yes, you can be on SDI 4 weeks prior to your due date and 6 weeks after a vaginal birth (8 weeks for cesarean).  Even if your baby is late, you still get 6-8 weeks of benefits starting the day the baby is born. 
  • I had a different experience. I went out at 36wks and was 2wks late. I got paid for the extra time I was off plus 6wks after she was born through disability, then I have additional 6wks of paid family leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"