Baby Names

Nicknames for Josephine?

DH and I were discussing the name Josephine today, which he told me he loves. You must realize this alone is a miracle as DH has never used the word love to describe a name before. But, I digress.

I really like the nn Josie, but DH thinks it sounds like a stripper name, and won't use it. What else is there? Jo lends itself to the boy names on girls trend, which I hate. I found Jovie online, which I like, but I'm not sure how much of a stretch that is from Josephine. Thoughts?

DD1 is Isla Rose.
Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Nicknames for Josephine?

• The Josephines I know IRL go by Josie, Joey, Jo, JJ (her initials) and Phee (I know 2)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I love the nn Josie and totally don't think stripper. How about JoJo? Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about it as long as you love the formal name and let the nn happen organically. DH had planned on calling DS2, named Reid, RJ and a year later, he hasn't used it. Not once.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I know a Josephine and she is called Sefi.   I think Josephine is a beautiful name!
    January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

• Personally, I think that Isla and Josie are a great pair! :)

I had a friend named Josie. The friendship went sour, but it's a lovely name!

Other NNs...

Fifi

Jo

Joey

Jojo

Josepha

Josette

Posey

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• I like Josie! 

I also like Posey.

• We have a Josephine nn Josie. 

I had to LOL when I saw your DH's comment that Josie sounds like a stripper name, as I have gotten quite the opposite reaction.  When I tell people my DD's name is Josie (we call her this 90% of the time) they usually say something like "that was my grandma's name!"

Aside from that I have also heard of Posey and Fifi as nicknames, but I don't personally care for either.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I have a great aunt Josephine but we called her Josie--I dont see it as a stripper name at all...names that are stripper like are Crystal, Diamond, Heavenly :-)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageHelenahhandbasket:
    We have a Josephine nn Josie.nbsp; I had to LOL when I saw your DH's comment that Josie sounds like a stripper name, as I have gotten quite the opposite reaction.nbsp; When I tell people my DD's name is Josie we call her this 90 of the time they usually say something like "that was my grandma's name!"nbsp;Aside from that I have also heard of Posey and Fifi as nicknames, but I don't personally care for either.

I agree. I think Josie is adorable and sweet! Unfortunately DH has totally arbitrary and odd opinions on names.

Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't thought of Posie, and I actually like Phee too, or Fi?
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bit of a stretch, but I know someone who uses the nn Effie for Josephine. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Fifi

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • I know of a Josephine that the family calls Phine or Phi for short (pronounced Feen or Fee)
  • Josie, Joey, JoJo, Jo, Fi, FiFi, Ce, CeCe....
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Josie doesn't sound like a stripper name to me at all. I think it is cute.
  • The Josephine I know goes by JoJo
  • Judy, Ina

I like Jovie.

• imagehologram87:
    I know a Josephine and she is called Sefi.   I think Josephine is a beautiful name!

I love this. 

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• I LOVE the nn Josie.  I used to babysit a girl names Josie and she was the cutest little girl ever.  Now she's grown up and isn't anything close to a stripper.
  • I prefer Joey. I don't think Josie rings stripper at all though... it's nice.

• How in the hell is Josie a stripper name?!?!  I think your DH is being ridiculous.

We call ours Josie, Jo Jo, Jos (rhymes with dose) and just straight Josephine. I've heard of Feenie, Fifi, etc too. Most of the time we call her munchkin or bug anyhow.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • I'm considering Josephine as well (after my brother, Joseph) but I don't want to use Josie b/c it's a cousin's name (her full name is Joanna). So I'm in the same boat.

I love Jovie and Posey/Posie. However, when I brought up Posey to my family once, I got a lot of eye-rolls. And Jovie reminds me of Elf. 

The other idea I had was the name Josephine Anne, nn Joanie.

Other than that, you might just want to let it happen naturally. I love Jo myself - I don't see it as a masculine name, thanks to Jo in Little Women.

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • imageSnoopyLuv:
    How in the hell is Josie a stripper name?!?!nbsp; I think your DH is being ridiculous. We call ours Josie, Jo Jo, Jos rhymes with dose and just straight Josephine. I've heard of Feenie, Fifi, etc too. Most of the time we call her munchkin or bug anyhow.

Totally agree. I tried to get him to tell me why, and he says because of the Josie and the Pussycats connection. He's nuts.

He says he will agree to call her by Josephine and whatever comes naturally it will be.

Of course this LO may not be a girl and then it doesn't matter either way, but we are Team Green and coming up with two names we agree on is much harder!
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I had a Josephine, I would call her Posey :) 
    D is 3, A is 1
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"